IE7, XP, SP3 - good internet connection, but it won't connect to web

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by don, Mar 14, 2009.

  1. don

    don Guest

    I have XP, SP3, fully and regularly updated with Windows updates.
    Road Runner for internet.

    FF 3.0.7 is my default browser, but for certain unique situations,
    I'll use IE.

    About three weeks ago, I tried connecting to a web site with IE 7. It
    ground and ground and ground, but never connect. So I tried some
    common always-up sites, like yahoo and google. Couldn't get to them
    either.

    Meanwhile of course, FF was working fine.

    Ultimately at that time, I dumbly followed a suggestion to force IE
    back to its default configuration - erasing paswords, cookies,
    customized settings, everything. And I immediately connected.

    But of course, I wasn't happy trying to restore things.

    Then this week, it happened again. Couldn't get on the web with IE7,
    but could with Firefox. Except after I closed IE a few times and
    opened it, no other changes, it worked.

    Now tonight, it's happening again, but I can't connect to the web with
    IE7, although I can with FF.

    What's going on?

    It's not viruses or malware; I practice extremely safe computing, and
    the computer is swept daily for both, with no incidences found of
    anything.

    don, Mar 14, 2009

  2. [email protected] wrote in

    Just a guess:

    In I.E. Under
    Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings
    are all three check boxes unchecked?

    Sometimes checking "Automatically Detect Settings" can cause IE to
    initially take a long time to connect while it takes time to detect
    settings. Unless you use a proxy server, leaving all 3 unchecked
    should improve connection speed.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Mar 14, 2009

  3. Try my FixIE Tool. Download it here http://www.ms-mvp.org/

    your time.

    The Real Truth MS MVP, Mar 14, 2009
  4. About three weeks ago...

    Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
    Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

    If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
    following:

    1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
    real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
    Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
    guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
    Windows Firewall.

    browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
    application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
    may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

    2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB961260)"
    via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
    and reboot.

    3. Re-do #1 above.

    4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
    offered (i.e., KB961260). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
    Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
    enhanced security.

    5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
    applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
    third-party firewall.

    PA Bear [MS MVP], Mar 14, 2009
  5. don

    don Guest

    All three were unchecked.

    Oddly, the problem "went away" after I posted. I closed FF (which was
    gobbling 330 meg from my total of 1 gig of memory), closed IE, did
    some other stuff, and then IE was fine.

    No other application was having problems though.

    This morning, IE is working normally.

    Not a major issue, as I use IE less than 5% of the time. Just
    something that bugs me because it doesn't work "as expected."

    don, Mar 14, 2009
  6. don

    VanguardLH Guest

    Have you tried running IE7 in its no add-ons mode?

    Have you yet scanned for malware? Many only attack IE, especially AX
    and BHOs.

    VanguardLH, Mar 14, 2009