    IE calls up as usual. Then asks do I want to open or save.
    Click open, I get a new IE window and it asks again.

    HTML files open just fine.

    richard, Nov 9, 2009

  2. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/file_extension.php?php
    Open With:
    Windows:
    Adobe Dreamweaver
    Edit with a text editor
    MPSoftware phpDesigner
    Notepad++
    Run from Windows Server with PHP

    <snip> A PHP page is a Web page that contains PHP code. When a PHP page
    is accessed in a Web browser, the PHP scripts are parsed by the Web
    server, which generates HTML. The resulting HTML is then sent to the
    client's Web browser, which displays the Web page. Therefore, the user
    never sees the PHP code, but only the HTML. </snip>

    Mike Easter, Nov 9, 2009

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    Ok so IE does not open a PHP file locally because there is no active server
    to handle the code. That's what I figured. Even so, it should display the
    html part as firefox does. But that's M$ for ya.

    Which is kind of strange because the html editor shows the html just fine,
    which uses IE.

    richard, Nov 9, 2009
  4. Well, duh.
    If you've no web server on your computer, no browser is going to execute
    the PHP script. If Firefox does, you have something misconfigured.
    There's a world of difference between an editor and a browser.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 9, 2009
  5. richard

    why? Guest

    PHP is server side, you should expect it to return some valid / well
    formed xHTML file.
    Then that's what the server is sending.

    Me

    why?, Nov 9, 2009
  6. richard

    why? Guest

    Well DOH!, you could have started off with that.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP
    Hypertext Preprocessor, is a widely used, general-purpose scripting
    language that was originally designed for web development, to produce
    dynamic web pages. It can be embedded into HTML and generally runs on a
    web server, which needs to be configured to process PHP code and create
    web page content from it.

    Why & Yes.
    That's editing the code, not rendering the view.

    Me

    why?, Nov 9, 2009
  7. richard

    richard Guest

    Thanks for that. I had wampp, but that apparently doesn't like vista.
    This latest version is a ton better and has all kinds of things in it.

    richard, Nov 10, 2009