    Jim Scott Guest

    What are the current thoughts on the advantages of these, now that IE7(beta)
    has been around for a while?

    Jim Scott, Jun 29, 2006

  2. Jim Scott

    jdismyfriend Guest

    Hi Jim,

    I have used IE7. For the sake of argument, I can say something positive
    about it: It looks flashier than the old internet explorer. It has tabs
    and RSS. I like it's hair.

    Truth be told, the latest firefox, especially with all the extensions
    available, slaps Internet Explorer 7. This is not a rant or an angry
    hate response... this is the truth.

    My friend has a decent 2.5Ghz processor and a 128MB 9800 Pro... For a
    computer that can run DOOM 3 with a decent (playable) framerate, to
    have an internet browser make it crawl seems sorta... wrong. Firefox
    uses a lot of memory, granted. IE7 is a bigger hog in this area,
    however. All of this "integration" of media players and memory heavy
    services slows the experience down. It's sort of like "BSPlayer vs.
    Windows Media Player".

    I really wanted to install an upgrade to IE, to have the RSS, tabs,
    etc... but it just isn't worth it. Not now anyway. I'm sure when Vista
    arrives, MS will clean up their browser act a bit and make a more
    efficient program. For now, go with the fox.

    In summary, Firefox with great extensions wins the day. When it all
    comes down to it, they are both free, so the sacrifice is only your
    wasted time. Stick with Firefox and I think you'll be content.

    Cheers,
    JD

    jdismyfriend, Jun 29, 2006

  3. Jim Scott wrote:
    [ IE7 vs Firefox ]
    What kind of thoughts are you looking for?

    Which is more secure?
    Which is more standards-compliant?
    Which will work on the most variants of operating systems?

    "Beta" means .. well .. beta.
    (Firefox is the answer to the above questions.)

    If you are looking for comments about user operability of these two
    browsers, you will get only subjective answers, as "it's all in the
    training and familiarity" of the user. I use several different browsers
    every day, and they all work well. Just slightly different.

    Secunia doesn't seem to have a page yet for IE7, like for 6.
    http://secunia.com/product/11/

    Firefox:
    http://secunia.com/product/4227/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 29, 2006
  4. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    Thanks JD
    I'm not new to all this and have come the MS route and tried all 'the
    shells', Gecko, Opera, Mozilla/Seamonkey and currently Firefox (altho' I
    have a soft spot for SeaMonkey)
    However I do like IE7's lack of extensions and how it will render any page
    you throw at it It is calling me back.
    In my website I try to use accurate markup, but the Moz attitude to
    imperfections in this direction reminds me aging schoolteachers or sergeant
    majors of yesteryear and it gets right up my nose!

    Jim Scott, Jun 29, 2006
  5. Jim Scott

    Evan Platt Guest

    IE7 is still beta. IE is just now implementing things that have been
    in Firefox for years.

    Do you trust your computer to a beta browser that may have loopholes
    to let people into your computer?

    Evan Platt, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    Wellll I suppose you could say that Firefox is also one constant beta and at
    least MS get their act together before putting it up for us tweakers to
    fiddle with, but that argument is not where I want to go.
    What I did want to know when I posted earlier are the experiences of those
    who have played with IE7b, because I haven't had the time and work almost
    solely in FF.

    Jim Scott, Jun 29, 2006
  7. Jim Scott

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Jim Scott.

    I'll give my views as unbiased as I can once it's out of beta. Until then
    I won't even consider using IE7.

    Ponder, Jun 29, 2006
  8. Are you saying that Moz (products) are less perfect at rendering
    HTML/CSS than IE?

    If so, that is not true. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 29, 2006
  9. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    No, what I think I'm saying is that .. erm .. in order for Moz products to
    render it correctly then it has to be perfect, wheras IE will render any old
    crap .. and I maintain that is not a bad fault .. m'lud.

    Jim Scott, Jun 29, 2006
  10. Jim Scott

    pandamonium Guest

    You mean less forgiving on slapdash coding? Shouldn't web coders be
    encouraged to use correct html/css rather than allowing them to get away
    with sloppy code? No wonder morals are slipping round here! Bah!

    Seriously though IE caters for the "That'll do!" brigade far too much IMO.

    pandamonium, Jun 29, 2006
  11. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    Yes .. but
    That's all very well in principle; however *I* don't want to have to use
    IEtab, 'cos some half-educated moron somewhere cannot write code like wot it
    should be.
    You get-on and educate the world if you like, God knows I spent a lifetime
    trying, but at the end of the day the browser lets me see the page as the
    moron wants me to see the page, then that's what it's all about.
    It's a pity, but that's the way it is.

    Jim Scott, Jun 29, 2006
  12. Jim Scott

    Evan Platt Guest

    So if there were an invention that would allow your car to 'check' gas
    before you put it in, and alert you that the gas has impurities and
    could ruin your engine... And every car manufacturer but one
    implemented this invention, that ONE manufacturer is better than the
    others?

    Evan Platt, Jun 29, 2006
  13. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    MS doesn't produce the bad gas, it just manufactures an engine which allows
    the car to run perfectly well on the bad gas.
    I'll settle for that.

    Jim Scott, Jun 29, 2006
  14. Jim Scott

    MrPanda Guest

    I have to bring up another point, one in your favor. Not necessarily
    for IE7, but Internet Explorer in general. I am not biased towards any
    browser, just sharing my experience.

    When using the Print Preview function in Firefox, I am sometimes faced
    with a very akward layout, with pictures and text even missing. To this
    day I wish there was a "Word" style print preview layout editor where
    you could move, or at the very least add/delete pictures/bars/text..
    etc. (If there is guys let me know =) But for now, I use Internet
    Exporer 6 anytime Firefox does not display the print preview correctly.

    Now wether I use IETab or actually click on the big blue E is a matter
    of how I wake up in the morning...

    JD

    MrPanda, Jun 29, 2006
  15. Jim Scott

    Evan Platt Guest

    I understand that. Reread my analogy.

    Evan Platt, Jun 29, 2006
  16. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    You've lost me.
    I don't know where you are, but it's 9.44 pm here and I'm knackered.

    Jim Scott, Jun 29, 2006