IE6: Problem closing individual browser windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by timberlandko, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. timberlandko

    timberlandko Guest

    2Ghx P 4, 1 Meg RAM, XP SP2, IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr_o50301-15119, NAV
    2004, ZoneAlarm Pro, all valid, current and fully updated.

    Now the problem - which cropped up a couple days ago. Opening an IE window
    works fine, and clicking links to open daughter windows from that window
    works fine. Opening new windows from address bar, either the address bar in
    a browser window, or the address bar down in my task bar works fine; no
    problem at all opening windows. However, if more than one browser window is
    open, clicking the "X" to close any open window results in a hang; the
    hourglass just ticks away in that window while nothing else happens - apart
    from the "not responding. Clicking into another window to bring it to the
    front works fine, and nothing weird happens with the newly selected window -
    until I try to close it. Then, same deal; a hang. Holding a click on the
    "X" for a few seconds generally closes all open browser windows. Selecting
    individual windows from the taskbar grouping of opened windows and clicking
    "close" works no better I can close all browser windows with a bit of
    effort, but not individual browser windows.

    The problem exists whether or not Zone Alarm and/or NAV are running.
    Resetting all IE options to default did not have any effect on the problem.
    Full System Scans with a², Ad-Aware SE, Bazooka, EWIDO, Housecall, Microsoft
    Antispyware, NAV, Trend Sysclean, Panda Activescan, and Spybot S&D come up
    clean. Where appropriate, scans have been run while in safe mode, from
    normal mode, and immediately following a clean boot. HiJackThis reveals
    nothing untoward, nor do Aida32, Belarc Advisor, Everest Ultimate,
    SilentRunners, StartDreck, or the system internals scans available through
    CCleaner and Spybot S&D. Processor and pagefile useage, Physical Memory,
    Kernel Memory, and Commit Charge all appear to remain within normal range
    per Windows Task Manager, and no unrecognizable process show up there. IE6
    does not appear in Add/Remove Programs, so no repair option from that
    corner. I'm stuck. Any ideas?

    timberlandko, Sep 13, 2005

  2. timberlandko

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Firefox

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 13, 2005

  3. timberlandko

    timberlandko Guest

    I have Firefox, and Opera and others (even <shudder>Netscape</shudder> - but
    for some things I have to use IE. So, what I'm looking for is a fix for IE,
    short of reinstalling Windows, of course ;)

    Oh, and System Filechecker - sfc /scannow - was no help either; forgot to
    mention that. And System Restore isn't an option in this case.

    Anyhow, I figure there's a Registry setting somewhere that's screwed up.
    I've looked without success, and hope somebody has a better handle on the
    deal. I doubt seriously I'm the only one to have come across this problem -
    somebody out there probably has the answer.

    timberlandko, Sep 13, 2005
  4. timberlandko

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You can always try the eradicate IE off the machine and put it back. You
    can search Google on the how to.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 13, 2005
  5. timberlandko

    timberlandko Guest

    Update - turns out it was a corrupted browser extension - fixed it by
    deleting the extension and redownloading it (from M$, natch).

    timberlandko, Sep 13, 2005