IE6 mem usage and virtual memory grows and grows until crash

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by watsupwithIE6, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. At about the 200 mg or mem mark my IE6 just ceases to open new pages.
    The right click menu won't open, and even Task Manager won't open, or if it
    does, I can't see the entire window.

    Obviously the system is low on memory at that point. I've tried running
    Hijackthis and did some spyware scans. Nothing unusual shows up.

    I just wait a moment, close any running exe files, open task manager, and
    close the remaining IExplore.exe (which is in the correct directory btw.)

    I'm wondering if the Spybot BHO or SiteAdvisor's BHO is causing a problem.
    SiteAdvisor also has an O18 Protocol loading, and an O4 executable file
    since McAfee bought it. The first versions didn't load that much in the
    registry. Now it first takes you to their nag ad page before you can check
    on a site.

    Is the O16 Windows Genuine Genuine Advantage Validation Tool necessary, or
    can I use Hijackthis to delete it?

    Any solutions (excuse the crosspost but I thought that the more the merrier
    who contribute an answer).

    watsupwithIE6, Dec 22, 2006

  2. watsupwithIE6

    Duane Arnold Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

    Duane Arnold, Dec 22, 2006

  3. The article states:

    rebuild. That’s right. If you have a system that has been completely
    compromised, the only thing you can do is to flatten the system (reformat
    the system disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your
    applications). Alternatively, you could of course work on your resume
    instead, but I don’t want to see you doing that.<

    What makes you think my system has been hacked or compromised?

    watsupwithIE6, Dec 22, 2006
  4. watsupwithIE6

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Do you think that all of a sudden all the problems you're having with
    your computer with things not working or going out of control, that it
    has not been compromised as you click on everything under the Sun with
    the happy fingers? The problems you're having just don't start
    happening out of the clear blue sky.

    If you can't find a fix and you may not find one or you do find a fix
    and it was due to malware, then can you trust the machine anymore?

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 22, 2006
  5. So you're saying that there's no reason to buy AV or anti-spyware programs
    because even if they catch something and fix the problem, you still can't
    trust the machine.

    What's the point of Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spy Sweeper and
    all the rest then?

    Your logic seems to contradict the rest of the industry.

    watsupwithIE6, Dec 23, 2006
  6. watsupwithIE6

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Why don't practice safehex and try to avoid it in the first place? An
    ounce of prevention goes a long way.

    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    And you read the other MS article didn't you?

    Anything that runs with the O/S such as programs like AV's and
    anti-spyware can be fooled, circumvented and defeated just like the O/S
    can have it happen to it, because they are written by fallible Human
    Beings. We are not infallible so nothing we do is infallible. If it hits
    the machine and is executed, it's too late, you don't know what else
    has been laid down on the computer.
    What's the point of not being aware of what can happen, if you don't
    know that it can happen? You depend upon such snake-oil other than the
    AV, which can be defeated too, to tell you it's ok and they fix what
    they can find, which every last bit of it can be fooled, circumvented
    and defeated.
    In the link I provided in the other post and the link I am providing
    now, it's MS talking to you.

    Long
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/artic...d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

    Short
    http://tinyurl.com/klw1

    You present serious problems with memory being sucked up, you can't use
    Task Manager, multiple IE(s) running, you can't find it, and the
    snake-oil can't find it, etc, etc. Again, it just doesn't happen out of
    the clear blue sky and out of nowhere. Can you trust the machine at that
    point, even if you are able to find something?

    What can I say?

    I am just the messenger.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Not at all. There is always new malware and if you don't practice safe
    browsing you're apt to catch one. The programs you mention will catch what
    they know about but will possibly miss something new, especially if you are
    prone to downloading free stuff from sites that shouldn't be trusted.

    And please don't use Follow-Up like that.

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM, Dec 23, 2006

  8. Well, you were right. I unchecked the "enable 3rd party..." and sure
    enough my memory problem disappeared. I had a load of browsers with heavy
    graphics open with no problem. IExplore.exe even closed by itself.

    I have a big MVPS HOSTS file loaded, so I don't think the 3rd party browser
    feature applies to that.

    Can it be the Site Advisor or the Spybot BHO causing the problem.
    Is Tea Timer still active if the Spybot BHO is disabled?

    watsupwithIE6, Dec 23, 2006
  9. I only download from sites with a good (green SiteAdvisor rating) and only
    freeware that's been highly rated by trusted sites or mags.

    watsupwithIE6, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Rob

    What is your setting at Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced,
    Performance Settings?

    Do you have the RAM to handle the setting?

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England

    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry Cornell, Dec 23, 2006
  11. Go to Start | Run and type
    msconfig
    and look at the Startup tab. Is TeaTimer listed and checked?

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM, Dec 24, 2006
  12. I don't have MSconfig (using Win2000 Pro OS), but use other utilities to
    check startup programs (Sysinternals, etc).

    A check of Crap Cleaners startup tool indicates that Teatimer.exe is in
    startup when the 3rd party browsers are enabled. Do you mean to check when
    the 3rd party browsers are enabled or disabled?

    watsupwithIE6, Dec 26, 2006
  13. I was just telling you how to tell if TeaTimer was still running. The other
    way, of course, is to right click the taskbar and use Task Manager.

    That being said, I know TeaTimer and Site Advisor can cause some problems
    for IE, either 6 or 7. And any McAfee program can cause problems for IE and
    for Windows itself.

    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM, Dec 27, 2006