    http://www.aliefisd.net

    If you see on the left pane there are links there that are not showing
    up for any student in this particular pc lab. Any ideas here?

    patrick.meadows, Sep 13, 2007

  2. Doesn't matter if it is the ancient IE6, or a very modern browser. The
    problem remains.
    Those of you with JavaScript enabled will see the menu.
    Those of you with JavaScript DISabled will /not/ see the menu.

    Personally, any web author who uses JavaScript for critical parts of a
    site, like navigation, should read a good book. Since ~10% of surfers
    have JavaScript disabled, or blocked by a corporate firewall, it's the
    same as turning off the web server for a whole month every year.

    This site's author also uses MS FrontPage, which is another sign of
    amateurism.

    Here is the JavaScript-generating menu file:
    http://www.aliefisd.net/mainmenu_var.js

    Now, that said, if you are letting these kids surf the web - probably
    unsupervised - it is *good* to have JavaScript disabled, especially with
    the insecure IE6. Get them better browsers, like Firefox or Opera.
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    http://www.opera.com/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 13, 2007

  3. patrick.meadows

    why? Guest

    Not being on the PC you use logged in as a student or an admin, you
    forgot to say what links may be missing.

    There are 24 links from
    Organizational Divisions
    Wellness Program

    Several expand to menus with what looks like a missing graphic (pointer
    / arrow) when not using IE, needs fixed.

    Or do you mean there is just a big tan color block?

    Do you teach using these same guessing methods?

    Scripting can by blocked by Tools / Internet Options / Security /
    <zone> / Scripting / Active Scripting - Disable , Enable , Prompt.

    So you are blocking the js from running by a login policy? Assuming a
    domain / policy changes the IE settings.
    It's another bit of this horrible code
    html xmlns:mso="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:
    the general code quality is fairly poor.

    This is really bad
    size="1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; photos by Susan Castro

    Try and avoid spaces in hfef (file names), the %20
    as well as mixing case

    Also if you want help try the be a bit more helpful and point out the
    menus are all in

    http://www.aliefisd.net/mainmenu_var.js

    Menu2=new Array("Organizational
    Divisions","administrative_services/personnel/administration.htm","",0,19,196);

    Menu3=new Array("Alief Education
    Foundation","http://aliefeducationfoundation.org","",0,19,196);

    Menu4=new Array("Alumni News","alumni/alumni_news.htm","",0,19,196);

    Menu5=new Array("Athletics","athletics/index.html","",0,19,196);

    Me

    why?, Sep 13, 2007
  4. Good advice...

    But do you think the IE-is-only-browser-I-have-FrontPlague-user could do
    that? <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 13, 2007
  5. patrick.meadows

    why? Guest

    No. Quite often (many years ago) providing aid to FP 97/98 - IE users,
    things broke on pages that were ok in other browsers. A few times it
    even worked on IE & Netscape on Unix.

    Me

    why?, Sep 13, 2007
  6. patrick.meadows

    houstonguy78 Guest

    Yes all the students see there is a big tan color block with no links
    whatsoever.

    houstonguy78, Sep 13, 2007
  7. patrick.meadows

    houstonguy78 Guest

    Checked tools-->internet options--> security etc... Looks like it is
    enabled.

    BTW...I didn't create the website.

    houstonguy78, Sep 13, 2007
  8. patrick.meadows

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:19:13 -0700, houstonguy78 wrote:

    I can see the links with IE Active Scripting - Enable , setting this to
    Disable blocks the links simply by clicking refresh.

    That's the FW set to (default)
    Cookies - permit
    Referrers - permit
    External Active - permit
    JavaScript - permit

    As you are reaching the site via an external URL, you may need to add
    the URL to the Internet Zone and set the security level for the zone.
    Also could be set by a (domain) login policy for non admin accounts.

    Change my FW to www.aliefisd.net JavaScript - block, the menu again
    isn't there. Without doing any setting change to IE, only clicking
    refresh.

    Change to SeaMonkey , disable JavaScript, no menu while FW set to allow.
    Enable JavaScript , click refresh menu is back.

    You have to find what's blocking the JavaScript, the browser, proxy,
    firewall , user login policy.
    He He, many say that :)

    Me

    why?, Sep 13, 2007
  9. patrick.meadows

    houstonguy78 Guest

    Actually I didn't create the website for the record. It's a school
    district so go figure... This lab teacher is on my back about the
    links missing and that's why I'm here. I could care less
    personally...

    Anyway, I did create a dummy student account and make that account a
    local administrator on that machine...links worked. I put that
    student back to a user account and it no longer worked.

    We are not running a login policy on those machines. Thanks for your
    help on this one.

    houstonguy78, Sep 14, 2007
  10. patrick.meadows

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 06:34:56 -0700, houstonguy78 wrote:

    Proxy? Assuming there is 1 what about it's logs. It it setting a policy
    by usergroups admin / non-admin?
    Okay do you as a student account not see any JavaScript demo pages?

    http://www.kingston.ac.uk/~ku00597/JavaScript/Examples/watchMouse.html

    In that Example, all my browsers allow JavaScript, but the firewall
    alters the tags when JS blocked,

    <!-- pt type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
    src="../Utilities/dateUtilities.js"></scri-->
    <!-- pt type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
    src="../Utilities/docUtilities.js"></scri-->

    from the working

    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
    src="../Utilities/dateUtilities.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
    src="../Utilities/docUtilities.js"></script>

    Do you see any differences using View source when logged in with each
    account?

    Me

    why?, Sep 14, 2007
  11. So it is now obvious to you that your student default profile (options)
    block JavaScript. You should, in my opinion, not alter the student
    profile as it is probably pretty secure, and keeps the students from
    shooting themselves in the foot while using their insecure browser.

    What you should do is complain to the author of the web site in
    question, and tell them their web site has serious accessibility
    problems. You should also tell the lab supervisor to install a modern
    secure browser on all the PCs.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2007
  12. patrick.meadows

    houstonguy78 Guest

    I'm new to this discussion groups thing so I'm not sure what you are
    talking about by bottom posting. I'm just hitting reply and typing.
    How should I be doing it?
    There is a proxy server but it doesn't distinguish users from one
    another. When I go to your sample site as a student, the eyes do not
    follow the mouse but do under my admin account. I checked out the
    source and under both accounts, I get this:

    houstonguy78, Sep 14, 2007
  13. It's called Usenet, and these are Newsgroups. (This is not Google. You
    are only using a Google web-based interface to Usenet.)
    See what I am doing here? Replying after each point, which I have
    separated. This is called Inline posting and is the most desirable way
    when there is more than one point to address.

    This page may clear up the issues:
    http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm
    Once again, your students' profile/browser setup/whatever is *disabling*
    the */execution/* of *JavaScript* in their browsers. You, as an admin,
    do *not* have JavaScript disabled, and you can see the menu in the brown
    box.

    Did you read my response from about three hours ago?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2007
  14. patrick.meadows

    why? Guest

    It's a general Google Groper issue.

    Read this recent thread
    http://groups.google.com/group/24ho...y?+google+ntl+aol+new&rnum=1#fcbf3052ebb3cbfa
    or the shorter
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/3dpxj2
    There is a more general free for all in some groups with regards to top
    , bottom and inline posting. Inline is like the message. I have replied
    to your comments below them and not crammed then all at the end of the
    post.

    See the link Beauregard posted.

    Your reply is below all the previous text, and tends to be fewer lines.
    This means you (not using <snip>) are including all the previous lines,
    adding say 10 or 12 but making the reader down to the end 80/90 lines
    just to read a few.
    Get use to poster styles if there isn't a guide for the newsgriup. For
    24HSHD you won't find one. However as most binary files and spammers
    aren't welcome.
    As expected.
    Okay, so now you have removed all previous text about the test URL ,
    difference in example. This takes your reply out of context.
    Okay so it's not the proxy or a fw altering the code. It's a policy /
    browser issue.

    Try another browser Opera / FF/ SeaMonkey and try with the school site
    or the demo.

    That's about it, you have to speak to your IT department about the
    account restriction setting.

    Me

    why?, Sep 14, 2007