Idiot proof (free) remote support software?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tiny Tim, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I have four friends (the list might grow) whom I help out with the odd PC
    support problem. They live from 10-100 miles from me so just popping round
    is not really an option when they have a small problem. They run a mixture
    of operating systems from Win 98 to Win Me to Win XP Home. I'm running Win
    XP Pro. I'm on ADSL and they are all on 56k dialup.

    Can anyone recommend any software that would help me to support them
    remotely and that would be easy to invoke at their end and for me to connect
    to? I've used VNC in the past with one of them but talking then through IP
    addresses and yacking on about clients and servers does not seem the easiest
    way to provide support. So I want something really easy to use. It would
    also be good if they could see what I was doing so that maybe they would
    learn a bit more.

    The sort of support might be for printing problems, downloading MS security
    updates, defining message rules in an email or news client, or downloading
    and installing a firewall such as Zone Alarm.

    Obviously we all need sufficient security to only permit a connection when
    it is needed. A help request could just be started with MSN/Windows
    Messenger or with a phone call. I guess XP Pro's remote desktop feature
    would be great (I haven't used it, myself, so I'm guessing here) if that was
    the OS they had but as they don't....... does anyone have any simple (and
    free) recommendations?

    Thanks,
    Tim.

    Tiny Tim, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Tip toe through your help files,
    through your help files with me...

    http://tinyurl.com/5cgh

    http://tinyurl.com/r56i

    B.

    B. Al. Zeebub, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    I've looked into Remote Desktop but that works one way only, to allow access
    TO a Win XP machine from 95/98/Me/XP.

    I want access to other people's 98/Me/XP machines FROM my Win XP machine.

    Tiny Tim, Oct 16, 2003
  4. I know there is a way, not using Windows at the moment, so I'm not
    thinking like a Windows user. I think telnet, you could try this if
    you're brave, but I think you need a GUI. Try asking in microsoft.public
    newsgroups is suppose.
    B.
    Good Luck.

    B. Al. Zeebub, Oct 16, 2003