    Which combination is better? I mean, which is more important for the
    HDD performance - cache size (8 or 16 MB) or connection speed (100 vs.
    133 ATA)?

    Martin, Jun 19, 2007

  2. It all depends upon usage pattern and other drive parameters (number of
    heads, rpms). For storing large files ... like dvd images, movies and maybe
    mp3s/pictures for direct "streaming" access, the cache size is not that
    much important as continuous transfer speed. For booting a OS, or even more
    database storage with lots of seeks and random access pattern, the cache
    size and head positioning speed both rule.

    Walter Mautner, Jun 19, 2007

  3. Just a footnote. It wouldn't help much to get ATA133 if the motherboard
    doesn't support it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 20, 2007
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Of course it does, that is why I am asking :)

    Martin, Jun 20, 2007
  5. Okay, after hearing that it's probably compatible, I'd go with the
    faster transfer rate and larger cache. But don't expect miracles.
    Today's hard drives are so fast that it takes some application that is
    intensely hard drive specific to make the difference noticeable. I
    remember times when it was a far off dream to get a 9GB SCSI drive
    because they were so fast and could hold all the data on Earth, but were
    very expensive. Now Walmart has drives that would put them to shame for
    pocket change.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 20, 2007
  6. Martin

    Plato Guest

    You're most lilely not to see a noticable difference either way. It
    often depends on the file sizes that are being transferred and/or the
    speed of your current in box HDDs and current pc setup/background apps
    running at the same time.

    Plato, Jun 21, 2007