    When I tried to use it on my hard drive and CDROM it did not work. Is it
    not compatible or do I need to set something in the BIOS or something?

    Thanks!

    vbMark, Nov 15, 2004

  2. vbMark

    why? Guest

    ATA cables do come in round versions, usually ATA 100/133 types.
    http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles/other/roundide/roundide-01.jpg

    The newer ones, plug into the mobo / devices by following the color
    scheme on the connectors. Look at the bag on the left, the connector
    colors are blue,grey and black at the top right.

    Connecting the newer cables,
    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/cable.htm
    The blue connector is connected to the system board. The black connector
    at one end of the cable is goes to the MASTER drive. The gray one in the
    middle is used for slave devices.
    There are older style 40pin/40wire ATA33 cables and the newer
    40pin/80wire ATA 66/100/133 types.

    You can get better performance if you don't put the HD and CROM on the
    same cable. The interface speed is pulled down to the lowest device.

    If possible have hardisks (new types) on 1 IDE cable the primary , while
    CDROMS (other optical/other disks) on the secondary IDE connector.
    Some BIOSs have 80wire manual or auto detect and ATA 100/133 manual /
    auto.

    If it's new kit connect only 1 device at a time anyway, make sure it
    starts up with the HD , it detected okay. Then add the CDROM after.
    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2004

  3. vbMark

    JamesB Guest

    What do you mean 'round'? - still a flat cable as such, but the wires appear
    rounder/larger? remember an ATA cable is just a lot of wires in a convienant
    form!

    JamesB, Nov 15, 2004