ICS with VPN... 98se vs XP

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by andy gardner, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. andy gardner

    andy gardner Guest

    I have a home network with various client computers accessing the internet
    via ICS on a win98se server... one of the clients machines (mine) also
    accesses
    work via a VPN... all ok... though I find the win98se a bit flaky...

    I was going to upgrade the server to win Xp and run ICS from here... however
    I noted on http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ the following
    warning
    regarding XP ICS...

    "WARNING #4: If you establish a Virtual Private Networking (VPN) connection
    while sharing a different connection, the client computers won't be able
    to access the Internet until the VPN connection is ended."

    What does this actually mean?

    does it mean that if a VPN is established over ICS
    from a user on the ICS server that noone else can access the internet? What
    if
    an ICS client machine establishes a vpn via the ICS server... will that also
    block
    other users of ICS for the duration.

    Is this all different to ICS on 98se?

    thanks Andy