    using Adobe RGB 1988 for both the Nikon scanner and Photoshop. I'm not so
    sure this is the best choice.

    Thanks for whatever help you may have to offer.

    C, Dec 24, 2003

  2. C

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: C
    First off, AdobeRGB is NOT a device profile, it's an abstract grey-balanced
    working space. You should use it as your WORKING space, but that's different
    than a device profile.

    First thing you need to do is generate an accurate ICM profile for your
    monitor. If the monitor profile is inaccurate you have little hope of getting
    good results in a color-managed workflow. Use Adobe Gamma if that's all you
    have, but it's better to calibrate and profile it with one of the hardware
    solutions, like the ColorVision Spyder for example. Once you have this profile
    the RGB numbers in the image file will get translated on the fly so that what
    you see on screen is as close as possible color-wise to what the RGB numbers
    represent.

    This monitor profile is the most important one by far, I feel.

    Next most important are the printer profiles, I think. I don't know if Canon
    makes ICM profiles available for this printer model, check around. If they ARE
    available or if you have the means to generate them yourself you should use
    them in Photoshop with soft-proofing to see in advance what the output will
    (hopefully) look like. Ideally you will have an accurate ICM profile for each
    paper for this printer. There are some tricks you need to learn about how to
    use the profiles when printing, but that's another question.

    For the scanners, I have the 8000 and have generated an ICM profile for it with
    the Monaco EZ-Color software, but in truth I get better results by scanning
    with auto-exposure with Nikonscan color management turned off and no targeted
    working space. Then when I open the scan in Photoshop I get the "Missing
    Profile" error message and at that time I assign either AdobeRGB or Ektaspace
    5.5 (a wider gamut working space that more closely captures the full gamut of
    film), depending on how saturated the colors are for that image. I get much
    better results this way than using the Monaco profile, but maybe that's just my
    scanner. At any rate, most gurus seem to agree the input device profile (ie,
    camera or scanner) isn't nearly as important as the monitor and printer
    profiles.

    So in Photoshop 7 use AdobeRGB as the working space (easiest way to set this up
    is to select "US Prepress Defaults" in the Edit > Color Settings dialog box).
    Your monitor profile will operate in the background, you'll never see it unless
    you look for it. Learn how to set up the printer profile for printing directly
    with the ICM file for the paper you're printing on and you should get good
    results.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Dec 24, 2003

  3. C

    C Guest

    Thanks. Just the info I need.

    C, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Use sRGB for the Coolscan scanner or get some IT8 profiles made. You can
    get IT8 targets from http://www.targets.coloraid.de/.

    For the printer, just configure the printer driver to use colour management,
    and try the different colour profiles that come with the driver. I've got
    an S800 and the profile that comes with the driver is almost perfect -
    certainly better than making one yourself with the print/scan method. If
    you can afford it, print out IT8 or similar targets on all of the papers
    you'll be using and send them to be professionaly measured.

    Regards,
    Aaron Queenan.

    Aaron Queenan, Dec 29, 2003