IBm thinkpad wireless question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tracy, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Tracy

    Tracy Guest

    Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want to add
    to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready (the antenna
    wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot) I've been looking
    at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In trying to determine
    weather this card is compatable with my system I found the following
    information on the IBM USA site:

    On this page,
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-52623
    the information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and P4
    2681.

    but on this page,
    http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=-840&langId=-1&partNumber=31P9701&storeId=1
    the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and
    P4 2681.

    Anyone know which is true?
    Thanks,
    Tracy

    Tracy, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Tracy

    Malke Guest

    The best thing to do is call IBM Tech Support - they will be able to
    tell you positively. IBM's Tech Support is excellent (I have a Thinkpad
    X31).

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Tracy

    Tracy Guest

    I tried that today, unfortunately my R40 is out of warranty and the guy on
    the phone told me it would be between $180 and $540 for the tech guys to
    call me... ouch!

    Tracy

    Tracy, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Tracy

    Malke Guest

    Ouch! That sucks. Can you call the IBM store and ask there? Otherwise,
    you'd probably do best to search using Google, look for Thinkpad user
    groups, mailing lists, that sort of thing. You might get an answer here
    from someone who has the exact same machine as you do, but your chances
    will be greater in a Thinkpad-specific venue. Good luck.

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 16, 2005