    top half in silver.what I want to know is if I was to remove the silver
    section, will that give me access to the disk plates inside OR not.

    Thks

    tim, Nov 22, 2003

  2. tim

    Greg M Guest

    "IBM floppy HDD" ... don't think there is such a thing.

    Greg M, Nov 22, 2003

  3. tim

    tim Guest

    Opps, thanks for that.

    I meant IBM HDD and not FLOPPY.

    tim, Nov 22, 2003
  4. tim

    Greg M Guest

    I'm sure that would probably give you access to the disk(s) or
    platter(s).

    Whhhhyyy would you want to do that? Besides to make a Xmas ornament
    outta the drive?

    Greg M, Nov 22, 2003
  5. tim

    tim Guest

    I bought this HDD casing,and the HDD I have is just slightly higher then the
    case. I think the casing is 9mm in height and the HD is 12mm in height.So
    looking at the HD I though if that silver part does nothing,but act as a
    plate, then I was hoping to remove it and then it will fit into the HDD
    casing.

    tim, Nov 22, 2003
  6. tim

    Greg M Guest

    If you open up the hdd in anything but a *clean room* type environment,
    you'll trash it.

    Greg M, Nov 22, 2003
  7. tim

    tim Guest

    so i take it, that silver part of the laptop hdd is the top cover and if i
    was to open it, it will give me access to the disks.

    tim, Nov 22, 2003
  8. tim

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, tim mused:

    | so i take it, that silver part of the laptop hdd is the top cover and if i
    | was to open it, it will give me access to the disks.

    It depends. A picture would probably be helpful. My laptop has a metal
    plate that the hard drive screws into which then mounts inside the laptop.
    Though, when mounted to this plate, it is obvious the plate is not "part of
    the hard drive."

    So, is the silver bit on your drive cohesively attached to the hard
    drive, or can it simply be removed by undoing a couple of screws? What is
    the model number of the drive? That would allow us to go and have a look on
    the web at the thing.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 22, 2003
  9. tim

    Greg M Guest

    <piggy-backed>

    Tim, the hdd should be able to be removed, no problem. But if you take
    it apart til it looks like this:

    http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/images_big/10gt.jpg

    it'll be a demo.

    Greg M, Nov 22, 2003
  10. tim

    tim Guest

    Its an IBM, model: DADA-25120. There are 6 screws, 3 on each side (top) of
    the drive. These screws are not the normal type,they are of like star type.

    tim, Nov 22, 2003
  11. tim

    tim Guest

    Ar right, not exactly what I am hoping it to be. I am hoping that silver
    section is just some kinda plate siting on top of the black section.

    tim, Nov 22, 2003
  12. tim

    IC Guest

    Those star screws are what is used to seal the drive itself. If you were to
    remove them, you would see what GregM gave a link to for a picture and
    relegate the drive to junk.
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/prod/6gtprod.htm has all the info on the drive.

    IC, Nov 22, 2003
  13. tim

    tim Guest

    Ar dam. I was hoping thats what I would see. Cheers for that folks. BTW,
    this drive I have it is 12mm,right?

    tim, Nov 22, 2003
  14. tim

    IC Guest