IBM desktop to tower swap

Discussion in 'Case Modding' started by vinsky, Apr 13, 2008.

1. vinsky

vinsky

Hi everyone !

I purchased a used desktop IBM 8212-1SF and it's very small. I'd like to put everything in a new tower case to get more space to put additional cards, hard drive etc.

Is it possible to fit all parts in any tower as long as there's enough space for the motherboard and everything or there is no way to swap the case ?

I don't have an empty tower to try it and I don't want to buy one if I'm not sure everything will fit in and back slots will be at the right places.

Thanks a lot !

vinsky, Apr 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. vinsky

bigal

That's an easy one to answer. You generally have plenty of room if you go from a small form factor to a tower case. In fact you can assume that you'll want to add components because you will have some space to fill on the front panel - extra 5.25 in slots for more optical drives or bay devices like an LED or LCD fan controller. Check out my site for some ideas on what you might put in your tower case.

bigal, Dec 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. vinsky

Amrita.Rao

bigal u reply with very good example, i hope vinsky understand very well ...

Amrita.Rao, Jan 21, 2009
  4. vinsky

bigal

Thanks. The thing about case modding is that you never know where to start the first time you try it. After building a few standard computers I felt comfortable in building my own cases out of existing devices like old printers and such. After a few more it becomes a challenge and all you really need to worry about is stuffing just the critical parts inside the case. Even a PSU can be placed outside a small case or even in a companion case. Optical drives can be placed in their own cases and plugged in with USB cables. It's much easier today than it was in the early 2000 time frame when case modding was just starting to pick up steam.

bigal, Jan 24, 2009
  5. vinsky

technoplume

Yes I would say that the biggest worry u should have whit that tower swap is the AT to ATX conversion. But from the pic I found. That IBM seem to already be an ATX Build. So there should not be much problem.

technoplume, Sep 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question