IAS RADIUS server in root domain servicing RRAS clients in subdomains

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by eddiec, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. eddiec

    eddiec Guest

    According to Transcender (Exam 70-297) you can have an IAS RADIUS server in
    a root domain servicing RRAS clients in subdomains.

    Specifically, the scenario is that you have a head office and other branch
    offices that are subdomains of the head office domains. RRAS servers exist
    in all branch offices. The business objective is that RRAS servers should be
    administrered by local IT staff but RRAS policy should be determined
    centrally in the head office. The correct Transcender solution is to place
    an IAS server in the head office that will act as a RADIUS server for the
    various RRAS servers.

    The problem that I have with this is that I do not understand how the RADIUS
    server in the head office (root domain) is going to access the Active
    Directory account information for users dialling in to the local office
    subdomain? How can this server authenticate users in a different domain?

    Any assistance would be much appreciated.

    TIA

    eddiec :)

    eddiec, Apr 20, 2004

  2. eddiec

    eddiec Guest

    Aha, but the parent domain by default in AD establishes a two way trust with
    the child domain so therefore Transcender are right that the RADIUS server
    in the root domain would authenticate users in the regional offices.

    eddiec :)

    eddiec, Apr 20, 2004

  3. eddiec

    Guest Guest

    hang on let me think no one wont to listen

    Guest, Apr 20, 2004