    #################################
    Dialup IPs are per session, not DSL or Cable. Besides, they have logs too.
    donnie.

    Donnie, Jan 21, 2006

  2. WM

    Donnie Guest

    As a side note, google stock dropped 36 points today. My guess is that even
    though most investors support the gov, they know enough to get rid of that
    stock because chances are that google will win the battle but lose the war.
    donnie.
    ###################################

    Donnie, Jan 21, 2006

  3. WM

    Donnie Guest

    ##############################
    It looks good as long as proxify isn't owned by the gov. The CIA went by
    the rule of thumb during Operation Mockingbird, that One journalist is worth
    20 agents. That could be updated to: One proxy is worth 20 agents.
    donnie.

    Donnie, Jan 21, 2006
  4. WM

    Winged Guest

    Might be great alternatives but the other major search engines turned
    over their records without protest.

    At least Google had the audacity to stand up to what is obviously an
    over extension of reach. Google isn't even a direct party in the
    litigation action (of course neither were the other search engines).

    The Government has now asked only for the data, not the
    instrumentalities to track the direct who. The issue here is principle
    and financial. Hours would be expended in retrieving what is being
    asked for and modifying data to remove tracking information.

    In this thread I saw someone say that the other search engines did not
    store information for long periods, which is incorrect. The other
    search engines do store information categorized. Google stores data
    including the site and other information as they want the ability to
    reorder this information to meet specific customer requirements. This
    means the other engines may not store the details but information is stored.

    I question the value of the term of GOOGLE cookie. I suspect that by
    2038 I will have changed computers and access methods.

    There is a cost to using google or any search engine. Donny indicated
    that this is why their stock dropped. Personally I believe the drop is
    an overdue adjustment and has no relevance to Googles wanting to ask a
    judge before being forced to expend resources without recompense. I
    know I sure wouldn't want to even pay for the media to retrieve a weeks
    worth of GOOGLE searches let alone pay for the employee time to do it.
    I believe Google is being prudent and significantly more responsible
    than the "other" search engines who just caved in to governmental
    request (included alta vista yahoo and MSN).

    In my opinion PORN (what gov case is about)on the Internet exists and
    will continue to exist irrespective of any single nations laws. I
    further believe that anyone who properly manages their system can reduce
    the likelihood of getting porn with the exception of UCE (SPAM). I
    haven't seen any porn by accident on the net for eons but I do not use
    IE which encourages advertising and other crapola. I believe getting
    user education programs, encouraging vendors to build products that
    isolate the machine from the Internet, and go after advertisers who use
    exploits to exploit hosts is a far more effective method than
    legislation the administration is trying to support.

    Winged

    “Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to
    realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”
    - Ronald Reagan

    Winged, Jan 21, 2006
  5. Even so, the DHCP server normally remembers the IP it gave to your MAC
    address, and tries to give out the same address when you request an IP
    again after starting up. It generally won't be assigned to another
    customer unless the server uses up its pool, which is rare.

    Most cable modem users keep the same address for months or years at a
    time, even if they turn off the computer every night. You might get a
    new IP if you turn off your computer while you go away on vacation, but
    it's not uncommon to get the same one even then.

    Barry Margolin, Jan 21, 2006

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Jan 21, 2006
  7. WM

    Winged Guest

    Actually numerous news organizations on the net have reported same.
    However here is one of the News sources reporting Yahoo and MSN handed
    over records.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1691827,00.html

    There are a number of different sources indicating same.

    Winged

    Winged, Jan 21, 2006
  8. Which then will be able to track the OP.

    Patrick Schaaf, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Right. Then, proxify.com can track you.

    best regards
    Patrick

    Patrick Schaaf, Jan 21, 2006
  10. Know what the most interesting part is? Not only will they be able to
    track your Google search, but everything you look at afterwords. When you
    stick your URL in one of these "anonymous" web proxies they follow you
    around until you specifically break out of them. If they're run by people
    who might want to log activity like TLA's or marketing firms, they're far
    more dangerous than Google.

    People don't *think* about this stuff. They see someone has plastered
    "ANONYMOUS!" all over the top of a page and away they go. :( If you want
    to hide your IP and do it with something that's at least marginally
    secure, use Tor.

    George Orwell, Jan 21, 2006
  11. WM

    Röb Guest

    Röb, Jan 21, 2006
  12. WM

    Ron Lopshire Guest

    Ron Lopshire, Jan 21, 2006
  13. WM

    Ant Guest

    Ant, Jan 21, 2006
  14. These boys are already complying with the very BushAdmin request that
    Google is fighting.
    Are you suggesting we help further?

    Leon Trollski, Jan 21, 2006
  15. WM

    usenet Guest

    A much better approach is to browse from a server system that hundreds
    of people use, then the IP address is of no use at all, well some use
    but not much.

    usenet, Jan 21, 2006
  16. I have this bridge you may be interested in...

    By the way, did I tell you my mother was a virgin?

    Borked Pseudo Mailed, Jan 21, 2006
  17. WM

    Ant Guest

    Keep it. Your need is greater than mine.
    And your father smelled of elderberries.

    By the way, your borked remailer borked your References header.

    Ant, Jan 22, 2006
  18. WM

    Donnie Guest

    ####################################
    If that stock continues to drop in the next wek or two, will you still
    believe that it has nothing to do w/ the current google problem?
    donnie.

    Donnie, Jan 22, 2006
  19. WM

    Winged Guest

    Nope, though either way I made a mistake not buying Google stock, never
    dreamed the stock would climb like it did. I do trade stocks, and I
    consider, and have considered google to be very over priced even at its
    initial IPO price, let alone the heights it climbed. So no I would not
    be surprised to see it fall to nearer its true value as it relates to
    dividends not potential future value.

    I believe the fall was facilitated by some Japanese market issues and is
    an overdue overall correction in the markets. Google is not the only
    stock that has been falling.

    That said, Google joint venture with Sun may provide some interesting
    competition with Microsoft s fight for the desktop. I suspect it may
    provide more pressure than even Linux has done to the server market. It
    should be a fun development to watch. What that future value will be,
    is still yet to be written, but I am glad they are in there. It will be
    interesting to see if Google plans a data collection OS...

    Google should be praised for not rolling over and providing their data.
    Their behavior is surprising in todays world. The fact that they are
    collecting search data and providing relevant paying advertisers some
    priority in search should not be surprising. Archive.org has been
    collecting page data since the early Internet days. The key is to be
    cognizant of their behavior. Their behaviors and morals are a step
    above most of the other commercial advertising Internet ventures.
    Microsoft, Yahoo just turned the records over, at least Google had the
    nads to say not so fast. Can you imagine if they changed their
    behavior to that of double click, yahoo, or Avenue A? I can live with a
    cookie (although I don't more than a session). Data collection is their
    business! They collect only what you voluntarily provide and do not
    insert trackers to attempt to watch all of your activity as some of the
    others attempt to do.

    Google is a commercial venture offering a service for free. One should
    be acutely aware of TANSTASFL (Their ain't no such thing as a free
    lunch) although the Open source model is close.

    Winged

    There ain't no Santa Claus, objects may be closer than they appear, the
    speed of light is subject to change, breaking seal constitutes
    acceptance of agreement. Disclaimer does not cover hurricane, lightning,
    tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood,and other Acts of
    God, misuse, neglect, unauthorized repair, damage from improper
    installation, broken antenna or marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage,
    missing or altered serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations,
    electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts. Documents are provided
    "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied. Flames redirected
    to /dev/null. If condition persists, consult your physician. If defects
    are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself, but return to an
    authorized service center. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, if
    symptoms persist, consult a doctor. Subject to change without notice.
    Your mileage may vary.

    Winged, Jan 22, 2006
  20. WM

    Olive Guest

    Altavista was bought out I think by Google or google-owned company.

    Olive, Jan 22, 2006