I wonder how many messages get posted on usenet, per second.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom McCafferty, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. I figure, the people at the help desk would know.

    Tom McCafferty, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Tom McCafferty

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Tom McCafferty

    philo Guest

    i have no idea really
    there are a lot of usenet groups...
    some quite active...others pretty dead

    i'll take a wild guess and say 150 / second (just to get things started)

    philo, Nov 22, 2003
  4. There used to be a tally kept at Remarq. It was around 750 000 messages a
    day in 2001, that's 500 a minute.

    Freddy The Ferret, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Tom McCafferty

    trout Guest

    That would barely cover the 'test' messages.

    trout, Nov 23, 2003
  6. I would figure, over a million messages have been posted, from, 3:08,
    the time this message was posted, and 3:22, the time marked, that you
    replyed.

    Tom McCafferty, Nov 23, 2003
  7. Tom McCafferty

    °Mike° Guest

    How do you figure that?

    °Mike°, Nov 23, 2003
  8. I can't give you that figure, but news server operators say that a FILTERED
    full newsfeed (that is, the spam and repetitious crap sliced out)
    approaches a terabyte a day. The vast majority of those are binary postings
    which are fairly large (on the order of 30K-50K each), so you can do a
    little math and come up with a highly imprecise figure from that. :)

    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 23, 2003
  9. Tom McCafferty

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Nov 23, 2003