    edition of some dvd title.

    I don't know if her tv was actually a wide one or a 4:3 one. But the above is
    what was said in the conversation.

    Waterperson77, Dec 11, 2003

  2. What a sad story. *sniff*

    Michael Walker, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Waterperson77

    Eric R. Guest

    (Waterperson77) wrote in message

    Hey, I was in Walmart today too! Small world, isn't it?

    -Eric

    Eric R., Dec 11, 2003
  4. Waterperson77

    Scot Gardner Guest

    <<I was in Wal-Mart today and overheard one of the salesclerks talking
    to a female customer.>>

    <<She was looking for dvd titles. He said "Do you have a widescreen tv
    or regular tv?">>

    <<She said that she had a pretty wide tv. because it was a large
    projection tv, not real wide, but pretty wide". and then asked him
    why.>>

    <<He said "The widescreen ones have black bars on them".>>

    <<Then she said "I don't want the black bars" and walked away with a
    full screen edition of some dvd title.>>

    <<I don't know if her tv was actually a wide one or a 4:3 one. But the
    above is what was said in the conversation.>>

    The bottom line here is that we have another totally-satisfied Wal-Mart
    customer. The salesclerk is completely in tune with what the typical
    Wal-Mart DVD customer wants and deserves.

    Scot Gardner, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Waterperson77

    John Savard Guest

    I think you don't have to worry about this customer walking away with
    a fullscreen DVD by mistake. Unless she wasn't involved in her
    husband's decision to buy a 16:9 projection TV, I would think that if
    she *had* a widescreen TV, she would have known the difference, and
    would have been able to say "Well, on *my* TV, it's the other ones
    that would have the black bars along the sides".

    John Savard

    John Savard, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Waterperson77

    Bil Gonzalez Guest

    Sending someone to "Mom and Pop" shop is the last thing I would do. It is
    extremely easy for them to get suckered into buying something they don't
    need, and for far too much money, because they have no idea about what they
    are doing.

    Many "Mom and Pop" shops, especially those that dealt with electronics, went
    out of business because they couldn't compete with the discounted prices
    offered by Best Buy and other larger stores. I don't care how knowledgable
    "Pop" is, I'm not paying full retail on anything if I don't have to. M&P
    shops often came across as eliteist, gouging their customers, and pushing
    certain "high end" brand names that maximized their profits. Many of them
    (not all) deserved their demise.

    I am being honest when I say that in 20 years, I've never been to a store or
    shop where the sales person knew more than I did about the product I was
    looking for. It is simple to do your research on the internet now. I like
    to play stupid and see what kind of misinformation I can get from
    salespeople.

    Bil Gonzalez, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Waterperson77

    JWB Guest

    The one that's within eyeshot of Mcdonalds? Damn, I was there too.

    JWB, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Waterperson77

    Shinner Guest

    Right next to the Sam's Club, I think.

    Shinner, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Right next to the Sam's Club, I think.[/QUOTE]

    No, the one next to Starbucks.

    Reginald Dwight, Dec 11, 2003
  10. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    There was a Starbucks next door

    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
  11. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    John Savard wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:46:57 GMT]:
    or she's just clueless about it all. To some people it's not life or
    death whether they know the models and specs of all their technology.

    I dunno why though.

    Justin, Dec 11, 2003
  12. Waterperson77

    Eric R. Guest

    How did you know?

    -Eric

    Eric R., Dec 11, 2003
  13. Waterperson77

    Wade365 Guest

    << The customers always get what they deserve when they shop at these stores.
    They *should* be shopping at a home theater specialty store if they have no
    idea what they're looking for. >>

    Yeah... they should be shopping at a place where the idiots have had time to
    cultivate their used-car salesman style and sell the poor bastard more
    expensive crap than they can possibly appreciate at an inflated cost because of
    the "specialty" of home theater.

    Right.

    Wade365, Dec 11, 2003
  14. Aaron J. Bossig, Dec 11, 2003
  15. Waterperson77

    Richard Guest

    Walmart = arm of the Chinese government

    Richard, Dec 11, 2003
  16. Waterperson77

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Waterperson77, says...

    I'm just wondering, have you recently been looking at 2.35 aspect ratio
    TVs?

    Mark Spatny, Dec 11, 2003
  17. Waterperson77

    Mark Jones Guest

    And your point is?

    Mark Jones, Dec 12, 2003
  18. Waterperson77

    jayembee Guest

    One of the Starbuck's being next to a Mobil station, the other
    next to an Exxon (with the Mobil station's prices being about
    5 cents cheaper than the Exxon's).

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Dec 12, 2003
  19. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    we got none of those around here....

    Justin, Dec 12, 2003
  20. Waterperson77

    pt Guest

    I was in Wal-Mart today and overheard one of the salesclerks talking to a
    Keep in mind only about .01 percent of the population have a wide screen TV, so
    when people hear this question, they naturally figure you must be wondering if it
    is a large set or small set and wonder why the hell that would matter just as
    happened here.
    Sure was nice of him to warn her. Most titles don't have warning labels on them.
    Who does?
    Another happy customer. :)

    pt, Dec 12, 2003