    What do i need to make this working ?

    Bind9 or something else ?
    So, the idea is to make something like dyndns service but for few costumers.

    alike, Dec 16, 2011

  2. alike

    David Brown Guest

    What are you actually trying to do? Dyndns has a whole range of
    services, so you have to be more precise about what you are trying to
    replace.

    Bind is powerful - but far from easy to learn and configure.

    Look at dnsmasq - if it does the job you need, it is far lighter and
    easier to configure.

    David Brown, Dec 16, 2011

  3. alike

    alike Guest

    i have some users that are using dyndns service for remote camera
    viewing. Now they have to pay this service so i was thinking that i can
    create some alternative solution that can be free of charge.
    So i was thinking to make some linux box with some ddns service...

    alike, Dec 16, 2011
  4. alike

    J G Miller Guest

    And if they are using the DynDNS server via their hardware router,
    that and perhaps another commercial rival will all they will be
    able to use, because hardware routers only have these two services
    hardwired into their firmware.
    Yes that is possible, but do you have a static IP, otherwise there
    will be a cat and mouse chase?

    J G Miller, Dec 16, 2011
  5. alike

    Deux Guest

    no-ip.com is still free.

    Deux, Dec 16, 2011
  6. Wha? I've been using dyndns for ages, and it's still free AFAIK. [I'm
    not paying them anything.] There was a recent shuffle of which domains
    were avaible for non-paying customers, but I wasn't aware that they've
    stopped offereing a free service.
    First, you need a domain. And you will generally need a primary and a
    backup domain server.

    Grant Edwards, Dec 17, 2011
  7. alike

    alike Guest

    I have two domains and for now i can set just primary dns server.
    btw. "primary dn server" is just linux box with standard installation.
    I didn't set any other programs accept standard installation.

    What's next step ?

    alike, Dec 18, 2011
  8. alike

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    I was under the impression that
    - the DynDNS protocol was open
    - you configure these routers with the IP address to contact

    If that's correct, such a router could talk to an alternative service.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Dec 18, 2011
  9. alike

    J G Miller Guest

    I should have been clear and stated I was referring to the home
    and small office type of router from Cisco, D-Link, or Netgear.

    Going to the Dynamic DNS page setting on various models only
    reveals a fixed list of service providers from which to choose,
    amongst which Dyndns, ngDDNS, TZO.com.

    J G Miller, Dec 18, 2011
  10. alike

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    OK, then I was wrong -- I was thinking about those home routers, and
    specifically that popular Netgear model. I set it up for my brother
    once, and didn't recall that lack of configurability.

    /Jorgen

    Jorgen Grahn, Dec 19, 2011
  11. alike

    alex Guest

    An alternative will be good. if needing to do this, it seems we need
    change the code of bind?

    alex, Dec 20, 2011
  12. alike

    alike Guest

    And, what would be the next step ?

    alike, Dec 20, 2011
  13. You have two possibilities. The first one would be setting up an own NS. Or
    better 2 in 2 different subnets, as required by some NICs.

    The second obe would be a Provider like Regfish.de. I have choosen them,
    because I was in the same situation as you 2 weeks ago.

    Regfish allows me setting all NS-Entries including forwarding to an own NS
    (backups are their servers). But I'm not using that option, because they
    allow me to be change every record via dynamic update (DynDNS). It's 12 EUR
    per year which is in Germany quite fair to cheap for an org-domain.

    If you have any questions just ask. Stood in front of the same problem as
    you, less than 2 weeks ago.

    Bernhard

    Bernhard Kupfer, Dec 23, 2011
  14. alike

    alike Guest

    Thank you Bernard for your suggestions.
    I will register one domain, but im not quite sure about next steps.
    My goal is to use this one computer as the NS.

    If i set this computer as name server and if i register one domain (
    lets say testdns.org ) what should i do next ?

    One more thing...
    What would be the best and maybe the easiest way to set up ns on linux box ?

    alike, Dec 24, 2011
  15. alike

    Baho Utot Guest

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bind

    Baho Utot, Dec 24, 2011
  16. alike

    alike Guest

    alike, Dec 25, 2011
  17. alike

    alike Guest

    Is there some gui for bind ?
    i want to organize all those domains and set some rules on them...

    One more thing. If i will use bind or dnsmasq, do i need to setup the
    DDNS or is the DNS enough ?

    Basically, my situation is as follows:
    - user enters testdns.org.tv and if this address and password is saved
    into users router, he can connect to some network device on his LAN.
    E.g. i connect my ip camera to my local network ( let's say
    192.168.0.100 ). I set testdns.org.tv domain into my router, and now all
    there is to do is to goto into web browser and enter testdns.org.tv
    When i enter this domain, my ip camera should pop up.

    Questions:
    - Can i make this with bind or dnsmasq and just with DNS or do i need DDNS
    - as far as i undestand the next user can get any address in org.tv
    domain ( testdns_2.org.tv )

    alike, Dec 25, 2011
  18. alike

    Ivan Guest