    4x6 papper too?
    thanks for you time and input
    Mike

    mike, Aug 22, 2003

  2. mike

    PTRAVEL Guest

    I just went through the same search process. I want to do the occassional
    13 x 19 so I can have things to hang on my walls, but most of my photo
    printing will be smaller.

    Short answer: for occassional use (clogging nozzles is a concern) and
    high-quality, I bought a Canon i9100. The output is spectacular,
    particularly on Canon Photo Pro glossy, and is similar in quality (though
    not identical) to the Canon i950. Consumables cost is lower than the Epson
    2200. The i9100 has a consumer-replaceable print head -- far better to buy
    a new head than a new printer. The i9100 will also do borderless 13 x
    19s -- very nice!

    PTRAVEL, Aug 22, 2003

  3. I don't want a duel, but would you (or someone else) say that the
    results are better or identical to the Epson 1280/1290? In any case, we
    are still left with this imponderable: archival quality (as little as 2
    years, say the experts, for Epson or your i9100 with premium glossy
    paper, and 25 years for Epson 2100/2200). However, nobody has had either
    of them for this length of time to reach a final view. As to scientists
    and experts, well, they are not always right! And how can one
    objectively define "fading"? If it is very gradual, it might not even be
    noticeable for a long time.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Aug 22, 2003
  4. mike

    Rich Bail Guest

    I have an Canon s9000. My neighbor an Epson 1280. We did a face off and
    determined that the Canon is a tiny bit better in image quality, but very
    little. Most people would never notice it. But under a 4x loupe we think the
    Canon is a narrow winner here. It is much less expensive as it has 6
    unchipped ink tanks, vs. 2 chipped ones on the Epson. Also the head is
    replaceable. It is much much much faster, but it does tend to clog up more
    than the Epson.

    Neither is archival, but both will provide at least 10-15 years of excellent
    image quality unless the images are left in direct sunlight.

    Anyway, printing it again every 10 years is no big deal for most of us.

    Rich Bail, Aug 22, 2003
  5. mike

    Dierk Haasis Guest

    Not that archival qualities don't matter at all, but aren't they a bit
    overblown? I mean, the digital data on your CD-Rs or HDs are the
    originals - like negatives or transparencies in the olden days - that
    have to be archived for the next millennium. Prints are only one very
    convenient way to show your ideas (read: photographs) to other people.

    Have you ever seen a wet chemical process print that did not
    deteriorate after some time - if no special precautions have been
    taken?

    Wasn't that one of the big points made by Andy Warhol, that we can
    produce any number of hardcopies from the same artistic idea?

    Dierk Haasis, Aug 23, 2003
  6. mike

    Tom Monego Guest

    That is right, don't get over agitated about archival qualities. But inks have
    gotten a lot better in the last couple of years, the EP 1270/80/90 with their
    new colorlife paper has a 25 year (Epson) rating. The trick here is to buy the
    proper paper ie if you use Epson Premium Luster with dye inks you are lucky if
    the print lasts 6 months but with an Epson 2200 you'll get 50 years. The Epson
    Colorlife is specificly made for dye printers. Many Ilford, Kodak and
    Mitsubishi papers do well with dye inks also.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Aug 23, 2003
  7. mike

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Dierk Haasis
    If you're selling your work then it matters a great deal.

    Bill Hilton, Aug 23, 2003