i want something better for my 5D please help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by markn463, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. markn463

    markn463 Guest

    Hi all, i recentlyl got a canon 5D. Fantastic camera expecially with my
    sigma 50mm macro and 180mm macro. But my canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 suddenly
    seems a little wanting since the 10D i had previously. so im after
    something new in the 20-100mm region

    And this is where my problems start - there are so many lenses out
    there with so many reviews i cannot decide.

    i dont do much photography above 100mm - i do mainly landscaprs,
    portraits, and walkabout shots, but they need to be sharp and
    fast(ish).

    within the range i must have a macro 1:1 and a 20mm (which i already
    have). i have made 6 options (see below) that im considering. I really
    don't want to spend more than £1000.

    Can anybody help me...

    Thanks in desporation, Mark

    hope this comes out ok. all prices are in £UK. nil = i already have
    the lens

    option 1 price
    20mm f1.8 sigma nil
    24-105 f4L canon 740
    50mm f2.8 macro sigma nil
    total 740

    option 2
    20mm f1.8 sigma nil
    24-70 f2.8L canon 920
    85mm f1.8 canon 280
    100mm f2.8 macro cano 390
    total 1590

    option 3
    20mm f1.8 sigma nil
    28-105 f2.8 tamron 580
    50mm f2.8 macro sigma nil
    total 580

    option 4
    20mm f1.8 sigma nil
    28-80 f2.8 tokina 350
    100mm f2.8 macro canon 390
    total 740

    option 5
    20mm f1.8 sigma nil
    28-75mm f2.8 tramron 260
    100mm f2.8 macro canon 390
    total 650

    option 6
    20mm f1.8 sigma nil
    28-105mm f3.5-4.5 canon nil
    50mm f2.8 macro sigma nil

    markn463, Jan 16, 2006

  2. markn463

    Mark² Guest

    No contest:
    24-105 f4 IS L.
    (Funny you didn't mention it).

    If you insist on the 24-70 2.8 L, I've got one that's five months old...and
    PERFECT that I'll sell to you.

    -Mark

    Mark², Jan 16, 2006

  3. markn463

    markn463 Guest

    forgot to add option 8
    20mm f1.8 sigma nil
    24-60mm f2.8 sigma 280
    85mm f1.8 canon 280
    100mm f2.8 macro canon 390
    total 950

    cheers

    markn463, Jan 16, 2006
  4. markn463

    Mark² Guest

    I realize you wanted a "selection" of lenses, but I think you really should
    consider the above as your main on-camera carry-around lens.

    Mark², Jan 16, 2006
  5. markn463

    Mark Guest

    Thanks Mark, with the canon 24-105l i keep reading about significant
    light fall off and abberation problems from user reviews, but its
    probably best if i try it myself. also i like taking pictures in
    museums and f4 can be a little slow.

    Cheers

    Mark, Jan 16, 2006
  6. markn463

    Lucas Guest

    <> schreef in bericht
[...]

    <<SNIP>>

    It seems to me you already answered your own question: your problem is in
    the 28-105 range, so you need to solve that problem, your first option
    should do very well: I use the Canon 24-105 f4L IS on my 5D with great
    pleasure. The newer IS really helps up to three f-stops!
    Maybe you can even stretch the budget a little bit and add the Canon 100mm
    2.8 Macro, maybe not right away, but in the near future; after all, your
    main problem will already be solved.
    On the other hand, once you really got a taste of the L-quality lenses, you
    will want all your lenses to be L-types...

    Good luck!

    Lucas

    Lucas, Jan 16, 2006
  7. markn463

    Mark Guest

    Thanks Lucas, so do you think that 24-105L will be a significant
    improvement over my 28-105 f3.5-4.5?

    Im just wary of zooms with too long a zoom range

    Cheers, Mark

    Mark, Jan 16, 2006
  8. markn463

    Mark² Guest

    If you shoot 2.8 or larger apertures in a museum...you'd better be shooting
    flat picture frames...because subjects with more depth than that will be
    effected by problems with too-shallow depth of field. If anything, the IS
    on that lens is a life-saver in flash, and tripod-restricted settings like
    many museums.

    Mark², Jan 16, 2006
  9. markn463

    Mark² Guest

    There is no comparison.
    I've owned the 28-105 you describe...and the 28-135 IS...and the 24-105 IS L
    leaves them all in the dust.
    There is really no comparison. I place the 24-105 IS on-par with my 24-70
    2.8 L. I have 4 L lenses (and have owned others), and the 24-105 lives up
    to the L designation with flying colors. The 28-105 you had suffers...but
    not it's not due to the zoom range...

    Mark², Jan 16, 2006
  10. markn463

    Mark Guest

    OK, thanks for all these replies. but is there anybody who can say
    someting good about any of the 3rd party lenses i have listed?

    i like the idea of say the tamron 28-75 with the canon 85mm and the
    canon 100mmm as the latter 2 are supposed to be VERY sharp.

    but im starting to swing towards the canon 24-105L all the same. will
    have to have a play with one

    Mark, Jan 16, 2006
  11. markn463

    Skip M Guest

    If your budget is under 1000UKP, then the 24-105 f4L IS is probably the
    logical choice. That and a dedicated macro lens, like the Canon 100mm f2.8,
    will probably, depending on the exchange rate, come in around your budget.
    The only reason to pick the 24-70 f2.8L would be if you absolutely need the
    extra stop, and IS won't help.
    It's odd that the 24-105 f4L IS is so much less expensive than the Canon
    24-70 f2.8L, here in the states, it is more expensive, but only slightly...

    Skip M, Jan 16, 2006
  12. markn463

    Lucas Guest

    Depends on your priorties: collecting (and carrying around) as much lenses
    as possible, or making pictures....

    Lucas

    Lucas, Jan 16, 2006