    Let's face it, the computer world is more than just windows, and to be stuck
    with a windows-only media player is ludicrous.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Rob Wilkens

    Gato Loco Guest

    Real Alternative will install on x64. It will play rm and ram format
    and has streaming capabilities etc.

    gl

    Gato Loco, Dec 1, 2005

  3. The latest version installs on Windows x64 just fine...
    - David Scheidt

    David Scheidt, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Great. What is the version number?

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 1, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 1, 2005
  6. Wm D. Christensen, Dec 1, 2005
  7. Thanks.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005
  9. Well, let me know how badly it mucks up your system. I used to be a firm
    believer in Real, and then when they started trying to force you into a
    subscription (THAT will be the day!), and it kept crashing my machine, I
    gave up on them as a bad idea all the way around. I'd be happy to hear that
    they'd improved.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 2, 2005
  10. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    That's the way I feel about microsoft. They tried to force me into an MSN
    subscription -- now we have two msn subscriptions plus an msn radio account.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005
  11. But I never had to have an MSN subscription to use Media Player. And I still
    don't have an MSN sub.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 2, 2005
  12. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    I just download RealPlayer10-5GOLD.exe and lo, "RealPlayer Cannot be
    installed on Windows XP 64-bit".

    I'll try real alternative (is that helix player??) but I won't be happy
    about it...

    -rob
    harrrrrumph

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005
  13. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    You never had to have an Real subscription to use real player..

    In fact they're making their core player code open source with that Helix
    stuff...

    The subscription is for the content they offer, kind of like msn's
    subscription for the content microsoft offers.. What gets me is that
    microsoft has the balls to ask for more money after you paid THEM for the
    operating system. No one paid real for the player.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005
  14. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005
  15. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Which reminds me, I need real player to work for one key reason:

    Real Rhapsody

    Rhapsody player won't install in x64 windows because of a "DRM Installation
    Error". I suspect it needs the real player to be installable to work, as I
    guess it uses their technologies.

    Rhapsody is a terriffic service, and I even heard in the news recently that
    rhapsody is going to be providing service (radio-level) to msn.com or at
    least their music site. Real and Microsoft, I read, had formed an unholy
    alliance.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005
  16. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Dec 2, 2005
  17. Rob Wilkens

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005
  18. Rhapsody 2 will install but not the new 3 versions.
    I have Rhapsody 2 working, burns disc etc. but I'm waiting for when they
    force an upgrade to 3.

    Bill

    Wm D. Christensen, Dec 2, 2005
  19. You don't download you do a "web install" just like the instructions on the
    page say. This has worked for me for a long time.

    Bill

    Wm D. Christensen, Dec 2, 2005