I used to have 7 partitions, all of a sudden I have 14. Sigh.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Nov 25, 2008.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Buffalo" <> wrote in
    news:ggjn4b$4cg$:

    >> Now, I am REALLY enjoying installing Windows from scratch.
    >> What a nightmare.

    >
    > Win95 is a pretty simple OS overall and I am just wondering
    > why you don't install the full version of it, without all
    > the tweaks. Even the full Win95 plays games extremely well.


    I'm too anal-retentive, I have to have my tweaks. LOTS of them.
    Arrows on shortcut icons are NOT acceptable, etc.

    Anyway, after a few MOST ENJOYABLE hours I gave up and restored
    a 2yr old Acronis image and I am just deleting what I don't need
    anymore.

    > Anyhow, enjoy your Thanksgiving! :)


    Thanks and likewise.


    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)
     
    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
    #21
    1. Advertisements

  2. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    §ñühwØ£f <> wrote in
    news:p:

    <SNIP>

    >> Sigh. Linux HAS to be easier.

    >
    > It is :)
    > I have a goldfish-like attention span...wot was the
    > original project supposed to be *for*?


    Atari, DOS, and 95 games. That's why I want a machine with ALL
    other irrelevant Windows stuff OFF IT (it's called anal-
    retentive).


    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)
     
    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
    #22
    1. Advertisements

  3. thanatoid

    Cork Soaker Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote in
    > news:p:
    >
    > <SNIP>
    >
    >> Just a guess
    >> but maybe when you restored the drive from
    >> image...something went wrong.
    >>
    >> Try deleting all partitions
    >>
    >> then restore for image again and see what happens

    >
    > I Googled more and it looks like I'm going to have to zero-fill
    > the whole drive... at which point I might as well do a clean
    > game-targeted (no telephony, internet, etc) install of W95B.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    >



    What year is it?
     
    Cork Soaker, Nov 28, 2008
    #23
  4. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    Cork Soaker <> wrote in
    news::

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> "philo" <> wrote in
    >> news:p:
    >>
    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >>> Just a guess
    >>> but maybe when you restored the drive from
    >>> image...something went wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Try deleting all partitions
    >>>
    >>> then restore for image again and see what happens

    >>
    >> I Googled more and it looks like I'm going to have to
    >> zero-fill the whole drive... at which point I might as
    >> well do a clean game-targeted (no telephony, internet,
    >> etc) install of W95B.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >
    > What year is it?


    It seem strange that I have to tell you, but it's November 2008.

    Of course, you're just trying to be funny (nice try), but a
    well-tweaked 166MHz 95B computer runs faster (for basic
    functions - it DOES take 5 hrs to convert an audio file, which
    is why I bought this one which is now also my internet computer
    - hence the "old games" machine project) than any XP or Vista
    box.

    And it does anything a reasonable person needs to do. This does
    NOT include DL'g 20GB movies and burning them to DVD's or
    playing 3GB games at 200 fps, of course. Doing such things are
    NOT reasonable activities, IMHO.

    And "Asteroids" is "Asteroids", whether it's a 4KB Atari file or
    a 2GB "new and improved" file with plenty of ugly graphics,
    stupid sound effects, and lots of other bloat to make sure you
    buy a new computer to play it.

    Etc.




    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)
     
    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
    #24
  5. thanatoid

    Guest

    §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:

    >>>Atari, DOS, and 95 games. That's why I want a machine with ALL
    >>>other irrelevant Windows stuff OFF IT (it's called anal-
    >>>retentive).


    >> I'd add the Windows 3.0 WEP with the original Tetris


    >I still have that on a floppy somwhere :)
    >I set up a w95 box for Doom & Heretic & solitaire so when I wake up in the
    >middle of the night I'd have something to do.


    Doom and Quake2 here, but have you tried M.A.M.E.?
    http://mamedev.org/ the program is free and you can play all of the
    old games, stand up arcades, Atari, NES, and the rest.

    The ROMS can be found in alt.games.mame (the easiest way)

    And thanatoid, there is a DOS version, no longer being maintained but
    available.
    --

    Macy's Parade, Rick Rolled
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i7B5aHafc0
     
    , Nov 28, 2008
    #25
  6. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > §ñühwØ£f <> wrote:
    >
    >>>>Atari, DOS, and 95 games. That's why I want a machine
    >>>>with ALL other irrelevant Windows stuff OFF IT (it's
    >>>>called anal- retentive).

    >
    >>> I'd add the Windows 3.0 WEP with the original Tetris

    >
    >>I still have that on a floppy somwhere :)
    >>I set up a w95 box for Doom & Heretic & solitaire so when I
    >>wake up in the middle of the night I'd have something to
    >>do.

    >
    > Doom and Quake2 here, but have you tried M.A.M.E.?
    > http://mamedev.org/ the program is free and you can play
    > all of the old games, stand up arcades, Atari, NES, and the
    > rest.
    >
    > The ROMS can be found in alt.games.mame (the easiest way)
    >
    > And thanatoid, there is a DOS version, no longer being
    > maintained but available.


    Thanks. I have heard of mame, but I have 0 experience with
    anything pre-DOS except Atari 2600, so I just used Stella which
    worked fine. But I'll look into it.


    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)
     
    thanatoid, Nov 28, 2008
    #26
  7. thanatoid

    Cork Soaker Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Cork Soaker <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> thanatoid wrote:
    >>> "philo" <> wrote in
    >>> news:p:
    >>>
    >>> <SNIP>
    >>>
    >>>> Just a guess
    >>>> but maybe when you restored the drive from
    >>>> image...something went wrong.
    >>>>
    >>>> Try deleting all partitions
    >>>>
    >>>> then restore for image again and see what happens
    >>> I Googled more and it looks like I'm going to have to
    >>> zero-fill the whole drive... at which point I might as
    >>> well do a clean game-targeted (no telephony, internet,
    >>> etc) install of W95B.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> What year is it?

    >
    > It seem strange that I have to tell you, but it's November 2008.
    >
    > Of course, you're just trying to be funny (nice try), but a
    > well-tweaked 166MHz 95B computer runs faster (for basic
    > functions - it DOES take 5 hrs to convert an audio file, which
    > is why I bought this one which is now also my internet computer
    > - hence the "old games" machine project) than any XP or Vista
    > box.


    No. This was my point.

    >
    > And it does anything a reasonable person needs to do. This does
    > NOT include DL'g 20GB movies and burning them to DVD's or
    > playing 3GB games at 200 fps, of course. Doing such things are
    > NOT reasonable activities, IMHO.
    >
    > And "Asteroids" is "Asteroids", whether it's a 4KB Atari file or
    > a 2GB "new and improved" file with plenty of ugly graphics,
    > stupid sound effects, and lots of other bloat to make sure you
    > buy a new computer to play it.
    >
    > Etc.
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    Cork Soaker, Dec 2, 2008
    #27
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. jlm33990
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,269
    stephan
    May 4, 2006
  2. Steve Conklan
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    4,185
    SteveC
    Feb 17, 2006
  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWxzb3Vw?=

    Unable to connect to PC all of a sudden

    =?Utf-8?B?bWxzb3Vw?=, Feb 21, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,919
    Malke
    Feb 22, 2006
  4. Marc
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,354
    Senti
    Jan 22, 2004
  5. Joseph Miller

    Unreadable file on Canon S 400.I used a I used a

    Joseph Miller, Jul 21, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    707
    Rolf Egil Sølvik
    Jan 13, 2004
  6. confused tech
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    555
    Gordon Findlay
    Nov 29, 2003
  7. network buyer
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,747
    network buyer
    Dec 23, 2010
  8. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    598
Loading...