    pride i dont care. We need those PDF files for a deadline coming up...

    Not Found
    The requested URL /cgi-bin/downloadbgfile.cgi was not found on this server.

    Keith Chilton, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Never mind got it fixed. Had 3 forwarders in my DNS list on the DNS Server..
    just had to move one up the list over top of another. I guess the other one
    has something wrong with it's lookups or something even though it was doing
    fine for every other website.

    --
    Keith Chilton - Data Services Technician / Proof Operator
    River Valley Financial Bank

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Mar 1, 2007

  3. No wait i need help again . lol I did a manual configuration using that DNS
    server and it was ok but when i went back to DHCP automatic configuration
    now it's not working again ... argh I even removed that original DNS server
    entirely from our DNS server.. so that cant be the problem ... hmm help
    anyone?

    Keith Chilton, Mar 1, 2007
  4. well it's not that DNS servers fault after all... it has to be something to
    do with DHCP .. i tried all the DNS servers in our lookup with statically
    assigned DNS names.. I can access those PDF reports fine.. however when i
    use DHCP it gives me this error...

    What would cause this to all of a sudden start happening and what is going
    with my DHCP server to make it spit out this error message?

    Keith Chilton, Mar 1, 2007
  5. Any ideas on what the problem is? Why is having DHCP configuration on this
    PC causing problems for this one website? When it's statically set it's
    fine....
    I tried 3 different DNS servers for statically setting it. The PC goes off
    of a DHCP and DNS Server on a Windows 2000 Server PC.

    help!

    Keith Chilton, Mar 2, 2007
  6. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    On a client, try ipconfig /flushdns

    Jeff, Mar 2, 2007
  7. Michael D. Alligood, Mar 2, 2007
  8. Jeff - I did try that but I'll try it again!

    Keith Chilton, Mar 2, 2007
  9. I believe it points to the DNS Server PC itself Michael! The DNS Server has
    3 DNS Servers set up in it's Forwarders section.....

    Keith Chilton, Mar 2, 2007
  10. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    Check DHCP and make sure you have the right DNS servers listed, Renew the
    lease and /flushdns resolver cache. You will get it worked out. You have
    made progress already.

    Jeff, Mar 2, 2007
  11. Double check your settings for DNS in your DHCP scope. When you
    statically configure the machines and they work, what DNS address are
    you using? When you dynamically assign them their IP address, perform a
    ipconfig /all on one of the machines and take note of the DNS servers
    listed.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 2, 2007
  12. For the static configuration i use the DNS Servers our ISP gave us... for
    the DHCP configuration it points to our DNS server on the win 2k server like
    it should... I am still at a complete loss why this is happening!

    Keith Chilton, Mar 2, 2007
  14. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    So, let me get this straight.
    Your DHCP server sends out the correct IP address for your internal Win2K
    DNS server.
    You DNS server is set to forward to your ISP's DNS.
    There are 3 DNS entries for the forwarding.

    Ok, Write the forwarding addresses down and remove all but one forwarder.
    Then try them one at a time.
    Also, when you are accessing the pdf files, is the link to a different
    domain than the home page that you first login to? Maybe you are missing
    something in the cache. Have you thought about exporting Cached Names and
    Clearing all of the cached names on the DNS server?

    Jeff, Mar 2, 2007
  15. I tried having one dns server ip address in the forwarders list and that
    didnt seem to help either.

    No i havent thought about clearing the cache out of our server. i looked at
    exporting it and it saved a text file with just the names of the websites
    and no ip address or anything else.... looked like it didnt export all
    information it needed to. I've never cleared the cache out of it so i'm
    going into unchartered territory.

    The link before i click the PDF file is like
    http://www.jamesbaker.com/myportfolio.aspx
    The link after i click it (without error) is like
    http://www2.gobaker.com/cgi-bin/downloadbgfile.cgi?bgifile=/home/jamesbaker/www
    (there is more on the address line after this)

    Keith Chilton, Mar 2, 2007
  16. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    The cache will rebuild over time. It's exactly what it sounds like.. It's a
    cache of all of the names that your DNS server has requested from your ISP.
    It will not hurt anything to clear it. Honestly, I have never ever saved the
    cache before clearing it.

    Jeff, Mar 2, 2007
  17. FINALLY GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

    LOL

    I went on the DNS server and deleted the file WWW2 under the GoBaker entry
    inside Cached Lookups... and voila it works with DHCP again... I deleted the
    JamesBaker entries yesterday and that didnt help... but after reading jeff's
    post and looking at the links and where they pointed (the pdf files were on
    gobaker.com while the jamesbaker.com is the main site) i went to that
    GoBaker entry and found that www2 entry and deleted it's sorry existence. i
    left that other www entry alone...

    Thanks Jeff ! I can move on with my life. Exciting! LOL

    Keith Chilton, Mar 2, 2007
  18. Keith Chilton

    Jeff Guest

    awesome! It was a great diversion.
    I guess I need to get back to the books. LOL

    Jeff, Mar 2, 2007
  19. i'll be studying those books soon enough for the mcsa... i'm sure i'll have
    to learn about dns server and dhcp server much more very soon... guess it
    was time for the pre-read exam though LOL

    Keith Chilton, Mar 2, 2007