    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Sep 7, 2005

  2. MarkH

    shannon Guest

    Thunderbird ?

    shannon, Sep 7, 2005

  3. MarkH

    ChrisOD Guest

    I use slrn, and quite like it.

    ChrisOD, Sep 7, 2005
  4. MarkH

    Shane Guest

    masochist

    Shane, Sep 7, 2005
  5. MarkH

    Peter Guest

    If you describe what you dislike about those apps, it will help us to guess
    what you might like.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 7, 2005
  6. MarkH

    Allistar Guest

    I use KNode, what don't you like about it?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Sep 7, 2005
  7. MarkH

    steve Guest

    I like Knode.

    steve, Sep 7, 2005
  8. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    Hmmm, that is not so easy to answer.

    Maybe I could explain a little easier what I like about XNews.

    In XNews I use a single window which I can flick between the list of
    groups/the headers in a group/a message - all very quickly and easily
    with the enter key and the esc key.

    It is also very quick and easy to tag messages or threads as read in
    XNews and at the press of a key all the read messages disappear.

    It is also very easy to tag binaries messages, then ask XNews to
    download them all. While they are downloading you can remove posts from
    the queue or add more to the queue.

    I also like the way that I can assign any function at all to a key.

    I know that some of the speed in using XNews comes from my familiarity
    with it, but honestly there are many programs that lack a keystroke
    option instead of a mouse click for many functions and that makes it
    impossible to navigate the groups as fast.

    I am now typing this in Thunderbird, which seems a bit better than Knode
    or Pan, but not as good as XNews.

    I also hated Agent/Free Agent and Gravity. Before using XNews I used to
    use News Express, which was similar but not as good as XNews.

    MarkH, Sep 7, 2005
  9. MarkH

    Peter Guest

    I find knode works fine for me. Other news readers are listed here ...
    http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/table.shtml
    1) Knode.
    2) Pan.
    3) NewsReader.
    4) Netscape / Mozilla.
    5) Opera [Prop]
    6) Sylpheed / Sylpheed-claws.

    For a highly configurable news reader, ie lots of user defined functions
    assigned to keys, with keyboard based app, you might like to look at emacs.
    This app has a very long tradition, and is highly configurable by the user
    - but, it is quite different and will be quite a steep learning curve.
    Most distros include emacs and / or xemacs.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 7, 2005
  10. MarkH

    ChrisOD Guest

    What's wrong with it?
    It is simple, easy to use
    Is console based so can be used anywhere
    Uses whatever editor I want (vi)

    ChrisOD, Sep 7, 2005
  11. MarkH

    ChrisOD Guest

    In fact the other day I was posting in a cafe while waiting for a client.
    And I have baited RB from KL a year or so ago.
    Quite handy using the same client and server anywhere in the planet.

    ChrisOD, Sep 7, 2005
  12. MarkH

    Shane Guest

    I use it via ssh when Im not at home, its a PITA for more than one group
    vim is no hassle (its far and away my favourite text editor, with kwrite
    a distant second), its the moving through posts, unmarking posts as read,
    trying to find posts in deep threads, etc etc etc (mind you this has more
    to do with me not knowing half the commands)

    I repeat my original assertion.. you sir are a MASOCHIST! :)

    Shane, Sep 7, 2005
  13. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    If I select a bunch of posts I can’t see the option to decode binaries to a
    folder.

    When I look at the list of all newsgroups I can’t see how many articles are
    in each to decide if they are worth subscribing to. With XNews you can get
    an article count on a list of unsubscribe groups and even sort by total
    posts or unread posts, then you can subscribe to the busy ones.

    At this stage I might have to sort out running XNews under Wine.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Sep 7, 2005
  14. MarkH

    Bob McLellan Guest

    There's always Thunderbird.

    Bob McLellan, Sep 7, 2005
  15. MarkH

    Gordon Guest

    Crap, he is can read the news with no sweat while you are on the point of
    death.

    Gordon, Sep 8, 2005
  16. MarkH

    Gordon Guest

    Rejected. Mail programmes which read news should not do so. In my view.

    Gordon, Sep 8, 2005
  17. MarkH

    Peter Guest

    From a quick search, it looks like that is the conclusion others have come
    to.
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Windows-Newsreaders-under-Linux-HOWTO/xnews.html
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=65884

    Xnews is written in Delphi, and Borland have produced some products for
    Linux. It would be nice if you could simply compile xnews for Linux, but I
    guess that would already have been done if it were possible.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 8, 2005
  18. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    I don’t think that it is not possible, but the author has not made the code
    available. Although the software is free (free as in beer) it is not free
    (free as in speech).

    If the author were to make the program open source then I am sure that
    someone would recompile it for Linux.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Sep 8, 2005
  19. MarkH

    MarkH Guest

    The more I try other newsreaders, the more I realise how much I like
    XNews.

    Although I mentioned the key remapping option, I don’t actually use
    that. I have swapped 2 keys and left the rest at default. I really
    like the way XNews works without having to do anything to customise it.

    Being able to shell out to an external editor allows me to rarely screw
    up my spelling.

    The ‘Open Special’ option is absolutely essential for huge groups (over
    100,000 posts).

    The score file is brilliant. I can filter the posts so many ways with
    things like getting rid of posts that are posted to more than 2 groups,
    deleting posts with the header in all-caps, plonking individuals, etc.

    I think that if I worked hard at describing everything I like about
    XNews, I could fill 2 or 3 pages. Maybe I’ll just write a poem instead:
    An ode to the beautiful XNews . . .

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Sep 8, 2005
  20. Hi there,
    I'm using boring (but functional) old Netscape 7.2. I tried Knode once
    but found a few bugs. Netscape is also a little buggy, but it'll do me.
    It works fine here in SuSE 9.3 Pro 64-bit...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Sep 8, 2005