I need advice/help configuring my bridge. Any tc experts?

Discussion in 'Linux Networking' started by Douglas Mayne, May 17, 2012.

  1. I have a new router that I've built from a simple motherboard. It is
    populated with 3 identical 10/100 ethernet cards plugged into the PCI
    bus. There is also one more onboard ethernet interface that is designated
    for the ssh console into the box/router. I built this box with the intent
    of having it serve as throttle on one segment of my network. I have used
    bridging before, but never applied queing disciplines before. The bridge
    is setup and working, but with the default qdiscs

    # ip address show
    1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
    state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 10.0.0.1/24 brd 10.0.0.1 scope global eth0
    inet6 yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyy0/64 scope link
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
    master br0 state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyy1/64 scope link
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    4: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
    master br0 state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x200:a0:cc:58:1f:e6 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyy2/64 scope link
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    5: eth3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
    master br0 state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x3 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyy3/64 scope link
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    6: br0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP
    link/ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:x1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet6 yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyy1/64 scope link
    valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

    ethernet 1 is connected to the public internet at 10 Mb/s
    ingress and egress.

    ethernet 2 is connected to an internal network that I would like to
    throttle down to 5 Mb/s ingress and egress. This network should always
    be given the highest priority for traffic, but at the restricted bandwidth.

    ethernet 3 is connected to a separate internal network that I would like to
    also like to throttle down. It should be limited to 10 Mb/s ingress
    and 6 Mb/s egress.

    TIA

    Douglas Mayne, May 17, 2012