    Just a simple way to get my folder contents (names of the folders contained)
    into a textfile I can edit and print.
    I used to have a good one but misplaced it during my last computer upgrade.

    Ryan, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Ryan

    Duane Arnold Guest

    upgrade.

    Dos Command Prompt

    c:
    cd\ryan
    dir *.* >> ryan.txt
    edit ryan.txt

    or

    notepad ryan.txt

    either edit or notepad will print.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Ryan

    samuel Guest

    www.karenware.com or google.com

    samuel, Sep 4, 2004
  4. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I'm having problems with Karen's directory printer. It crashes at the print
    command and I'm not sure if it allows saving to a text file.

    Ryan, Sep 4, 2004
  5. Ryan

    Unk Guest

    A quick and dirty way without any new software is from a DOS shell:
    Click Start, Programs, DOS Prompt or click Start, Run. In the Run
    box, type "command.com" without the quotes and press enter.
    (WinXP, NT, 2K, type "cmd")

    Navigate your way to the directory where the files are located, and use
    the DIR command to list the directory and use switches to control output.
    /a shows ALL files (hidden, system, etc.) dir/a
    /o (letter o, not a zero) sorts them alphabetically dir/o
    /s shows subdirectories dir/s
    /b bare format: Just the long filename. dir/b
    Add the command ">list.txt" to send the output to a text file "List.txt".
    (Double ">>"'s makes the DIR command append the output to an existing text
    file)

    So if you want a list of EVERY file on the C:\Music folder sent to a text
    file that you can edit, then use the following command:
    dir c:\music /a/b/o/s>list.txt

    By 3rd party Software:
    Karen's Directory Printer
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

    Print Folder Pro:
    http://no-nonsense-software.com/download.html

    Print It:
    http://www.skylarkutilities.com/print-it/home.html

    DirPrint by Wim Heirman:
    http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~wheirman/
    http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~wheirman/zip/dirprt40.zip

    Directory printer
    http://www.galcott.com/

    Unk, Sep 4, 2004
  6. Ryan

    samuel Guest

    works for me
    yes it saves to text
    Try here http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/
    or google.com jumbo.com majorgeeks.com

    samuel, Sep 4, 2004
  7. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Thanks for these.
    I wasn't being lazy, I did do a freeware/shareware search and came up with quite
    a few but I just didn't want to make a mistake and install crapware without
    getting a little advice here.

    Ryan, Sep 4, 2004
  8. Ryan

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Sep 4, 2004
  9. Ryan

    Quivis Guest

    If you need this for keeping track of files and folders, you might want
    to try Cathy: http://rvas.webzdarma.cz/

    Postcard-ware.

    Q.

    Quivis, Sep 4, 2004
  10. Ryan

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Just a simple way to get my folder contents (names of the folders contained)
    |>into a textfile I can edit and print.
    |>I used to have a good one but misplaced it during my last computer upgrade.

    Download UltraEdit it will end up replaceing your Notepad.

    Go to advanced > Dos command and type in dir (your directory)
    and it's all done.

    http://www.ultraedit.com/

    Pennywise, Sep 4, 2004
  11. samuel commented courteously ...
    karenware is a good GUI way to do this but I never figured
    out a way to stop it from putting a couple of tab characters
    at the start of every line.

    I use the standby dir command.

    -- Jerry

    All Things Mopar, Sep 4, 2004
  12. FolderPrint 3.32

    If you are using XP, Win2000 or WinME, the browse feature does
    not work, but you can copy and paste the path into the the box,
    and it works just fine. I've tried Karen's Directory Print, but
    I like FolderPrint much better.

    @}-}-------Rosee, Sep 4, 2004
  13. Ryan

    Don Guest

    You could try DDFileCatcher. You can select all the files in a folder
    and drop them onto it. Then click a button to send them to the
    Clipboard for pasting into Notepad. It will also list the folder name
    first and then the filenames underneath, show the extension, size and
    date if needed and can be launched from Microsoft Word, if you need to
    format the output more. It's at www.ddfilecatcher.com

    Don, Sep 10, 2004
  14. Ryan

    AllanIsKing