I need a Tool to reset all the NTFS folder and file permissions on a drive !!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kenny, Sep 19, 2005.

  1. kenny

    kenny Guest

    Tool to reset all the NTFS folder and file permissions on a drive

    For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.

    I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is of
    no importance here.

    I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn it
    off to reveal the problem was

    in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.

    I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
    manually.

    THANKS

    kenny, Sep 19, 2005

  2. kenny

    John Holmes Guest

    kenny blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Take ownership. Read this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    John Holmes, Sep 19, 2005

  3. kenny

    Maarten Hart Guest

    Maarten Hart, Sep 19, 2005
  4. kenny

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:41:27 +0300, kenny wrote:

    Some of the links are NT4/Win 2000 as that's what I have saved as
    bookmarks, some are XP but you can search for XP versions of the older
    articles given.
    All folders?

    Check the ownership as well.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    Try to avoid the system folders :)

    There are MS articles on default permissions / sharing
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    view / set / change for special folders XP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308419

    This article is Win 2000 / links for NT,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266118
    and restore NTFS defaults for Win 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q266118
    search MS support for the XP versions

    There is a utility with NT / 2000 , can't remember if it's supplied by
    default or in the resource kits, it's called cacls and may be in XP Pro
    by default.

    Again with the MS search
    , look for

    cacls xp

    , Results 1-17.

    and
    xp default ntfs permissions

    You did it?
    Don't use SFS, it's horrible.

    SFS will mean it's XP?
    The permissions don't ususally apply to network permissions (although
    there is a special network group) more often it's user / group and the
    login name the same on both PCs.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../en-us/windows_security_default_settings.mspx

    Would you be looking at the security tempates as an issue? Try asking in
    one of the specific microsoft groups, assuming it XP something like -

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

    Don't think that's possible except by a wipe / reinstall

    Again , as I don't use XP a lot,
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=180464
    look for a XP version, on how to script permissions, meanning you have
    to know what you want first.

    Me

    why?, Sep 19, 2005
  5. Today kenny spoke these views with conviction for everyone's
    edification:
    Simple file sharing deletes the security tab you need to add or
    verify accounts to access the folder(s).

    All_Things_Mopar, Sep 19, 2005
  6. kenny

    IT_Guru

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Have a look at this Microsoft KB article....HOW TO: Reset Security Settings Back to the Defaults
    hxxp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313222

    IT_Guru, Apr 3, 2009