    If someone could direct me to a guide to walk me through the software part i
    would appreciate it.

    piper

    Piper, Jan 29, 2007

  2. Piper

    PeeCee Guest

    piper

    Google is your friend
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=e...rd+drive+on+a+laptop&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    for example
    http://lifehacker.com/software/wind...nd-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Piper

    Meat Plow Guest

    If you want to clone your current drive onto a bigger drive and resize the
    partition to reflect the additional space you need a couple things.

    1. Two 3.5" to 2.5" IDE adaptors.
    2. Bootable CD with Acronis Easy Migrate.
    3. Desktop PC.

    Seeing you don't know anything about a computer, you might want to print
    this article out and give it to someone who does.
    Temporarily mount your drives in a desktop PC. (ok just to let them hang
    from the cables)
    Boot from the CD and run Easy Migrate.
    Remove the target drive and mount it in you laptop and make sure that it
    boots and operates properly. I've cloned a couple drives that didn't work
    right the first time. But a second pass fixed it.

    Meat Plow, Jan 29, 2007
  4. Piper

    WhzzKdd Guest

    This link: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/
    has a good set of step-by-step instructions for just about all scenarios.

    However, your laptop may have come with "recovery" software that may be a
    better idea.

    In my experience, most users don't ever make the recovery discs. They don't
    even read the instructions that came with the computer that tell them that
    they should make the recovery discs. So when the system crashes, they don't
    have the discs needed to get it back to the original factory configuration.

    So it might be a good idea for you to check out the stuff that came with the
    laptop, and see whether you have discs or not, and whether you were supposed
    to make your own discs, and if so, how to do that.

    You probably have settings (email account info, etc.) and data (music,
    documents, spreadsheets, videos, photos, etc.) on the laptop that you want
    to keep, and transfer into the new hard drive. Get that information backed
    up BEFORE starting anything else.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 29, 2007