I need a cross-platform softphone

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stan, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I need a Java-based cross-platform softphone. I have found several
    Java softphones by cruising the 'Net, but they all say they are for
    Windows only.

    Background/Tale of Woe/Warning to the unwary: I intended to set up a
    VoIP
    capability using an adapter and analog phone, so purchased a Linksys
    PAP2T-NA (the "NA" means it's unlocked), and opened an account with
    VOIPcheap; I configured the device according to the directions on
    their
    website, and it worked quite well. Because of the limited and
    inconvenient
    options for payment, I decided to switch to iConnect, which is really
    Delta3, using their Bring Your Own Device option. Through my own
    carelessness, I did not realize that they were going to provision it,
    but
    they did -- and from that moment on, the device is inoperable; they
    killed it. The verdict of Linksys Tech Support is that it is not
    repairable.
    The Tech support people inspected my proof of purchase and determined
    that they should replace it as defective, so passed me to the RMA team

    to coordinate the details. Those people checked the serial number, and

    noticed that the device had been sold to Vonage (therefore was
    locked),
    and I should take up replacement with Vonage customer service. Of
    course, Vonage is not going to be interested in replacing a
    pirated/hacked/unlocked device. The store where I bought it
    (advertised
    as an "NA" unit and so described on the invoice), which is presumably
    the place that busted the lock, and which is far away back in the US,
    has
    so far failed to reply to my request for advice, and I doubt that he
    will
    be as broadminded as Linksys Tech Support. So I am up the creek
    without
    the proverbial paddle as far as that adapter (pardon me, "Paper
    Weight") is
    concerned, and will have to spring for a new one. Caveat, all you
    potential
    Emptors.

    I have found another provider, and he has sworn to me that he will not
    try
    to configure it. Until I can get a new adapter, several weeks will go
    by,
    but I could use this new service with a softphone. So to repeat the
    query:
    Does anyone know if there is a cross-platform Java-based softphone?

    Stan, Jan 2, 2007

  2. Stan

    Paul Guest

    No it doesn't, "NA" means North America. Ones sold in the UK should say
    "PAP2-UK". I'd get back onto whoever you bought this off and get them
    to replace it with one that isn't an ex-Vonage device.

    Cheers,
    Paul.

    [snip]

    Paul, Jan 2, 2007

  3. Stan

    Brian Guest

    SIP Communicator. It's alpha quality. Is there an overwhelming reason
    for the phone to be Java-based?

    [Adventures with a PAP2T-NA snipped]
    Can the identity of the store be revealed?

    Brian.

    Brian, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Gordon Henderson, Jan 2, 2007
  5. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I saw that in my web browsing. For "Java", read "cross-platform". I've
    given that up, however, and have installed a Windows softphone
    (X-Lite) on a Windows partition on a laptop machine. Tomorrow
    I'll try to make telephone calls with it.
    I will definitely do that in as many places as possible, once I have
    given them an opportunity to refute or explain the accusation.

    Stan, Jan 2, 2007
  6. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I'm sure you know what you are talking about, especially if units sold
    in the UK do have the "-UK" suffic. I had been told (actually had
    read) that the "-NA" meant unlocked. I can't think why geographical
    suffixes would be necessary: the 'Net looks pretty much the same
    wherever on the globe you see it.

    As I said, I have written to the store, told them of the verdict of
    Linksys, and asked for their reaction and advice, since which I have
    heard nothing from them. On the prudent assumption that the silence
    represents evasion, I've written to Vonage and described the situation
    -- which drew a formletter response inviting me to subscribe to
    Vonage. When I get set up with a softphone in a day or two, I will
    give Vonage a ring and try to find a human to hear me out.

    Stan, Jan 2, 2007
  7. Stan

    Tim Bray Guest

    The suffix is mainly about what kind of power supply comes in the box.

    The -EU ones have a 2 pin adaptor.

    You get into trouble for selling mains devices to consumers without a 3
    pin plug. Bundling converters is not acceptable.

    If you are in the UK (which I suspect you aren't), you can get a nice
    new UK spec one very easily.

    Tim
    (who has sold loads of linksys/sipura voip stuff, in the UK)

    Tim Bray, Jan 2, 2007
  8. Thus spaketh Tim Bray:

    The PAP2 I bought had the mains adapter where you slot on either the UK
    plug or Euro plug (came with both). Like many of the laptops we supply,
    they have the same arrangement, with USA plug and Australian plug to
    slot on as well as the Euro and USA.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 3, 2007
  9. Stan

    Stan Guest

    That is correct; it's a clever solution. Mine came with the US part
    only, although I had ordered it with a European part, so I had to buy
    a 5-volt supply locally.

    Also correct is that "-NA" means "unlocked", not "North America". I
    suppose that the mistaken assumption was a result of understandable
    back-formation (aka "folk etymology") from "-EU".

    Stan, Jan 3, 2007
  10. Stan

    Stan Guest

    To update: The store replied today, denying that they had monkeyed
    with the device, and claiming that they buy all their Linksys
    equipment from one of the only two wholesalers in the US franchised to
    sell these things (giving the name). I am inclined to believe them,
    and am glad I didn't bandy their name about without proof. They asked
    for the serial number and MAC address, so they can track it down. I
    suspect that the woman at Linksys has goofed, that the device is
    legitimate, and that they will clear up the error and replace the
    device -- that's a much more palatable outcome than finding who
    perpetrated a fraud.

    Stan, Jan 3, 2007
  11. I have a boxed one here that on the packaging states PAP2-UK. I've seen
    PAP2-NA referenced many times on the PAP2 yahoo mailing list, it can
    refer to locked ATAs as well (Net2phone etc.).

    It is also noted on there that -NA's are called -EUs in europe (and
    presumably UK in the UK, since that's where mine was purchased).

    I think the only difference is the PSU adapter that you get with it,
    these can be bought from CPC for 98p if you get the wrong one anyway.
    (PW01594 for UK or PW01595 for Euro).

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 3, 2007
  12. Stan

    Stan Guest

    Can you give me a full address or URL for where the 98p adapter
    can be purchased?

    As for the "-NA" suffix, I have it on authority that it means
    unlocked.

    Stan, Jan 3, 2007
  13. Thus spaketh Stan:

    Unlocked as in was once locked? Or as never been locked in the first
    place?

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 3, 2007
  14. Stan

    Stan Guest

    I found the CPC website. Thanks for the pointer.
    It's a Linksys _catalog_ designation, meaning "unlocked".

    Stan, Jan 3, 2007
  15. All I can tell you is that the ones here are not PAP2-NAs, they are
    PAP2-UKs. I did have a PAP2-NA but it came with an American plug (hense
    knowing where to buy the adapters, I've had to and I bought a spare at
    the same time).

    The above I know to be true.

    Net2phone and Deltathree (iConnecthere) (and there are bound to be
    others) are known for shipping PAP2-NAs that are locked to them as a
    provider.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jan 10, 2007
  16. Stan

    Stan Guest

    If it is marked PAP2-NA, it was sold as an unlocked device and the two
    providers locked it in the privacy of their own premises. NA does NOT
    mean North American, as you can verify by consulting Linksys, it means
    unlocked. The American plug is standard, as stupid as it must be to
    sell it that way in the UK or in Europe. But the difference is only
    the clever insert; the device proper is uniform anywhere on the globe,
    because the Internet is uniform everywhere on the globe.

    Stan, Jan 10, 2007