    get into the recovery console in order to do the chkdsk! thats why I need
    another disk that can check the hard disk for errors!

    thanks

    Kenny S, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Kenny S

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Not likely. TIf it were mine, I'd take the drive out, put on a 2.5" to 3.5 "
    adapter (or put it in my USB drive enclosure), plug it into a desktop, run
    chkdsk there. And I think you want to run chkdsk /r (recover as well as fix)
    instead.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Kenny S

    why? Guest

    Yep, would do the same thing.

    Me

    why?, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Kenny S

    Al Klein Guest

    <http://www.datapol.de/dpe/freeware/>

    "NTFS4DOS offers full access to NTFS based file systems with a single
    boot floppy. "

    Al Klein, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Kenny S

    Kenny S Guest

    Kenny S, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Kenny S

    why? Guest

    why?, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Kenny S

    why? Guest

    Fine I guess as long as the file system errors are fixed first.

    And some of the free Linux boot disks as well.

    Me

    why?, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Kenny S

    why? Guest

    For repair jobs, would recommend NTFSDOS from www.sysinternals.com ,
    it's read only, just that bit safer to check with first when looking at
    a disk. If the data is accessable then use another utility to recover
    data.

    Me

    why?, Oct 29, 2005
  9. Kenny S

    Kenny S Guest

    Kenny S, Oct 30, 2005
  10. Kenny S

    PC Guest

    Kenny

    Had a similar case on a Desktop recently, turned out to be the drive itself
    was crook.
    Best course of action is to remove the drive and mount it as a slave in
    another PC for diagnostic/repair work.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 30, 2005
  11. Kenny S

    Kenny S Guest

    tried it, read only does not do the trick, and you are stupid.

    Kenny S, Oct 30, 2005
  12. Kenny S

    bigjon Guest

    why? decided to add:
    Click it and read... not too hard I suppose!
    It's actually a very useful tool if you have to fix a lot of NTFS systems,
    I use it on our network all the time...

    bigjon, Oct 30, 2005
  13. Kenny S

    why? Guest

    No, it just didn't mention anything about the program.
    So far I have found this to be quite good as well, hasn't failed yet.
    http://www.winternals.com/Products/AdministratorsPak/
    Administrator's Pak

    Administrator's Pak is a complete suite of powerful, versatile tools
    that allow you to repair unbootable or locked-out systems, restore lost
    data, remove malware from infected systems while the system is safely
    offline using your existing antivirus software, and diagnose system and
    network issues. Administrator's Pak includes ERD Commander 2005, Remote
    Recover, NTFSDOS Professional, Crash Analyzer Wizard, FileRestore,
    Filemon Enterprise Edition, Regmon Enterprise Edition, AD Explorer,
    Insight for Active Directory, and TCP Tools.

    Me

    why?, Oct 30, 2005
  14. Kenny S

    bigjon Guest

    why? decided to add:
    You paid $1410.00 usd for this ??

    You are MAD.

    bigjon, Oct 30, 2005
  15. Kenny S

    Dave Lear Guest

    No, he probably works for a corporation where the potential loss of data
    from a workstation / server is worth a huge amount more than $1410 if it
    were to be lost. So, he's writing off a one-off capital cost for the
    software against all the extra revenue costs that would be incurred if his
    techies had to attempt to recover data without the software.

    Look at it this way... imagine that the workstation that dies belongs to a
    board member and he has saved some incredibly important data to the drive in
    his workstation. Regardless that the loss of data may contribute to a huge
    loss to the company (if he hasn't stored it anywhere else) you have to
    factor in the board member's time. If using this software saves a couple of
    hours of the board member's time (i.e. recovering the data takes less time
    with the software than without) then that might well pay for the software,
    i.e. a couple of hours of a board member's time may well add up to fourteen
    hundred dollars. Any other time / data savings are therefore a bonus.

    Dave Lear, Oct 30, 2005
  16. Kenny S

    bigjon Guest

    Dave Lear decided to add:
    Yeah - And I'm probably the Queen of Sheba..

    A simple backup program would be more effective for protection from
    workstation data loss my friend.

    bigjon, Oct 30, 2005
  17. Kenny S

    Dave Lear Guest

    Hello, your highness. ;-)
    Imagine the workstations is backed every 24 hours up at 21:00. Director
    starts using it at 08:00 and it dies at 15:00. How is the previous days'
    21:00 backup going to get back the seven hours of work he's done on it
    today? The sort of tools in that WinIntenals pack are a *now* thing, i.e.
    what can I get back from a dead workstation.

    Dave Lear, Oct 30, 2005
  18. Kenny S

    why? Guest

    Yes.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Oct 30, 2005
  19. Kenny S

    why? Guest

    Most likely that was it all along.
    Depends, if a large part of the work involves custom workstations , 100s
    of users with equipment that has to run for 25+ years contracts, I/O
    cards from companies that don't exist anymore, sometimes no original
    software and lack of drivers. Equipment that is built , rebuilt ,
    altered and upgraded by 3rd party sources. Sometimes something will go
    wrong. Part of the backup system also includes for some special projects
    buying 20+ mobos of the same type, only 2 are used at a time, as mobo
    model life time is so short. Spending that much money on an application
    isn't an issue.

    Being able to easily recover data from the 3 day test run after a fault
    is a small cost. In some cases the remote recover option is handy as
    well.

    Me

    why?, Oct 30, 2005
  20. Kenny S

    Toolman Tim Guest

    No, not hard at all. But many people (myself included) will NOT click on a
    link when we have no idea where it leads. Think about it...
    So next time, name it, describe it. Tell the "safe surfers" where you are
    planning on sending them.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 30, 2005