    In reality, in IE6, they all work together, ie, both history entities and
    favorites/bookmarks show up during an inline autocomplete return.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 11, 2010

  2. shegeek72

    Justin Guest

    Jon Danniken wrote on [Fri, 11 Jun 2010 13:55:49 -0700]:
    Works for me. Not sure why it doesn't for you.

    I have bookmarks I have not been to in several years, and they autocomplete fine
    by typing their name

    Justin, Jun 12, 2010

  3. shegeek72

    Peter Guest

    I have a computer with IE6 on it and have just turned on inline
    autocomplete, but this doesn't seem to work for those URLs already in
    favorites only when I add a new URL to favorites.

    Perhaps it's the same for FF. If you add a new entry in favorites
    perhaps it will show up.

    Peter, Jun 12, 2010
  4. shegeek72

    Jon Danniken Guest

    I looked at that value, but it was already set to "True".

    browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled - Status=default Type=boolean
    Value=true

    I went to the "home" button and started typing in an entry from my imported
    favorites, but I still do not get any inline autocomplete action.

    Thanks though.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 12, 2010
  5. shegeek72

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Thanks Peter, tried that, but it still doesn't work.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 12, 2010
  6. shegeek72

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Hi Nigel, went to Tools - Options - Privacy, and mine was also set to
    "History and Bookmarks" as well. I tried to the other three options
    (HIstory, Bookmarks, Nothing), but none of them gave me an inline
    auto-complete.

    Thanks though.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 12, 2010
  7. shegeek72

    Peter Guest

    Actually Jon, IE8 does do this.

    Peter, Jun 14, 2010
  8. shegeek72

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Hmmm, everything I have read, from user postings to MSDN blogs tells me
    otherwise.

    You are currently using IAC - from the address bar - with IE8?

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 14, 2010
  9. shegeek72

    Peter Guest

    It certainly does. From the address bar. Hadn't really paid it much
    attention till now. Normally I'm just typing in a web url, which it
    lists the first 6 at the top. However, below the urls it then has a
    history heading, under which are the top 5 page titles, and under that
    is the Favorites heading, under which are the top 4 matches for the
    names under which they were saved to your Favorites.

    If I start to type in a name that I know is in my Favorites (and there's
    no match for basic urls or history), it only lists the matches for
    Favorites.

    Peter, Jun 15, 2010
  10. shegeek72

    Peter Guest

    Actually, I sent my follow-up just a little too quickly. You need to
    type the first 2 characters before it shows any matches in Favorites.

    Peter, Jun 15, 2010
  11. shegeek72

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Yes, I have seen matches available in a drop-down box, but does it
    autocomplete the entry on the same line as the one you are typing in? In
    other words, can you type a few letters and just hit ENTER without having to
    choose from the list you are given?

    Thanks,

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 15, 2010
  12. shegeek72

    Peter Guest

    Once there is only one item left in the list you can hold down shift and
    press enter. Otherwise, if there is more than one choice from the
    letters that you type how is IE supposed to know which you want?

    And if you don't want the History to show, you can disable it from:

    tools>>internet options>>content>>auto complete settings

    Though it seems you cannot disable auto complete for any websites you
    have typed the url for and visited.

    Peter, Jun 16, 2010
  13. shegeek72

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Because you set up the names of your Favorites to come up in a particular
    sequence, using the order of characters given with the ASCII table, starting
    from SPACE. I explained this earlier in the thread, using a three Google
    sites as examples.
    For IE6, this value is stored in the registry, and consists of the last 20
    (IIRC) entries. Removing an offending entry (most often a typo), is just a
    matter of removing it from the registry.

    In any case, thanks for confirming that IE8 does not have IAC; I was aware
    of the drop-down menu, as well as the SHIFT+ENTER technique that MS enacted
    for the address bar.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 16, 2010
  14. shegeek72

    Peter Guest

    Well you could easily delete all previous urls typed from IE8 and start
    afresh, so that's not an issue. What I meant was, it cannot disable the
    visited urls without disabling inline autocomplete totally.
    Well, it seems to me it does have it, just not specific enough for your
    needs because it requires the first 2 characters to be typed before it
    will pick up a favorite. Seems good enough for my needs.

    Peter, Jun 17, 2010
  15. shegeek72

    s spector Guest

    I to have become frustrated by Firefox- too many "not responding"
    issues. I tried Google Chrome and so far its looking pretty good. Even
    better than IE.

    s spector, Jun 23, 2010