I love Firefox....help !!

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Tull, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. Tull

    Tull Guest

    I had ignored Mozilla stuff for a while....was happy with OE and Avant
    Browser. But friends got me to try Thunderbird and Firefox. When I
    discovered the ever growing number of available extensions, I am now
    hooked. Problem is that Firefox crashes on me periodically...most often
    when I do a Ctrl-T to open a new tab and start typing a new url. Or if I
    open Google and start typing a search string. I get the microsoft
    dialog box that says that firefox has had an error and needs to
    close...then gives me the option to report the incident, which I usually do.

    I have a fresh install of XP Pro, fully patched at windowsupdate. Using
    the default XP firewall and AVG antivirus. 768 of PC2700 DDR memory and
    a fairly fast AMD chip on an MSI motherboard. I have a bunch of
    extensions installed in Firefox. Other programs that load into the task
    bar are messenger, roboform, TimeCalendar, hard drive light and
    autosizer. Usually Thunderbird is open at the same time, but it never
    crashes. mIRC never crashes either. Come to think of it, Firefox is
    the only program that does crash on me.

    How do I find out what is causing the crash? Or what other processes
    might be conflicting? I love this new Firefox and would hate to see a
    need to go back to the IE engine.

    Help !! (Thanks in advance)

    Tull, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Tull

    Doug G Guest

    If you run Firefox in Safe Mode and it doesn't crash, you probably
    installed a theme or extension that isn't compatible with the version of
    Firefox you installed. Themes and extensions are disabled when Firefox
    is run in Safe Mode.

    What version of Firefox are you using? Firefox 1.0.4 is the latest.

    Doug G, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Tull

    Tull Guest

    I'll investigate the range of extensions I've installed. I'm using the
    latest 1.04. I downloaded some themes, but went back to the default.
    Thanks.

    Tull, Jun 5, 2005
  4. Tull

    The One Guest

    Worth reinstalling XP just so Firefox would run properly LOL.

    The One, Jun 5, 2005
  5. Tull

    Jowah Guest

    If you cant find the offending extension...try creating a new FF profile.

    Jowah, Jun 6, 2005
  6. Tull

    Tull Guest

    Found it!! Unfortunately it is one of my favorite extensions. It's
    that one called "No Script", which lets you create a white list of sites
    that you will allow javascript to run. As soon as I uninstalled it, the
    problem went away. Thanks for steering me toward checking them....I was
    figuring it was a M$ problem.

    Tull, Jun 6, 2005