    know I need it. Will this make Firefox less secure to viruses, worms
    and spyware? I'm thinking it will but have no proof. What do you
    advise? Thanks,

    James, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Macromedia should not make it any less secure. Just get the plugin from
    PluginDoc or Macromedia itself.

    If you're one of those security nuts, get a firewall, but you are as
    secure now as you will be. The Virusses, etc. are mostly spread through
    idiotic downloading, but occaisionally will leak through pages. Almost
    never through Flash, though.

    Poly-p man

    =?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=, Sep 2, 2005

  3. James

    Old Gringo Guest

    The plug-ins are the first things I got for FireFox and have no problems.

    Old Gringo, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Generally, the worst thing about Flash is that it is annoying. Go ahead
    and install the plugin, then install the "flashblock" extension so you can
    chose when and which Flash things to display.

    John Thompson, Sep 2, 2005
  5. James

    Simian Dyson Guest

    Go ahead and plug it in. Hell, Flash should be the worst securtity threat
    your Wintel machine has to face. Beside, don't you want all those spinning
    coffee cups and flashing lights?

    Simian Dyson, Sep 2, 2005
  6. James

    Arne Guest

    You will be ignored if you top post, don't quote what
    you are replying to and cut of only the signatures!

    Arne, Sep 2, 2005
  7. James

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:07:23 -0400, in message

    Just make sure that the following about:config setting

    privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins

    is set to 2, or you may be less secure from pop-up windows with ads.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 2, 2005
  8. I see no such entry in my about:config - using Firefox (version 1.06)

    [email protected], Sep 2, 2005
  9. James

    Jedi Fans Guest

    you have to make it urself

    Jedi Fans, Sep 2, 2005
  10. James

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Create it yourself. Right-click in the about:config window, choose New,
    Integer. Enter the preference name
    "privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins" without quotes. Enter the value.

    Ed Mullen, Sep 2, 2005
  11. all usenet behavioral office are closed for the long weekend, I suggest you
    join your mates,,,,

    ReEfEr MaDnEsS, Sep 4, 2005
  12. James

    Z Guest

    If you decide to d/l and use Macromedia Flash, read this first:
    http://www.internetweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160400749

    And keep this link as a bookmark:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

    Z, Sep 4, 2005