I haven't seen the code but I fear that M$ is WATCHING ME!!!

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by charlie, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. charlie

    charlie Guest

    Paranoid or What???

    Hey, first let me say that I have not downloaded the source code
    in question.

    This is in part from:
    http://www.computerworld.com/govern...sues/story/0,10801,90270,00.html?nas=OS-90270

    FEBRUARY 18, 2004 ( IDG NEWS SERVICE ) - In an effort to protect
    its intellectual property, Microsoft Corp. is warning Internet users
    not to download the Windows source code that appeared online last week.

    Microsoft is sending warnings to users who search for the source code
    on peer-to-peer file-swapping services and is mailing legal warnings to
    those who have already downloaded the secret programming code, company
    spokesman Tom Pilla said today.

    Pilla wouldn't say which P2P services Microsoft is targeting or how the
    company is delivering the alerts on the services it doesn't own. "These
    alerts serve to inform users who initiate a search looking for Windows
    source code that it is illegal to view, download and share the code," he
    said.

    Microsoft has also sent out hundreds of letters to people who have already
    downloaded the source code, Pilla said. Many have already responded by
    agreeing
    not to distribute the code and deleting it from their systems, he said.
    Pilla wouldn't detail how Microsoft knows who downloaded the code or who
    received the letters.

    Did you catch the "Pilla wouldn't detail how Microsoft knows who downloaded
    the code"
    part?

    This part makes me wonder just how much Microsoft is monitoring our
    activities - even when it is NOT RELATED TO THEM!

    Like I said I haven't seen the code but I fear that M$ is WATCHING ME!!!

    Now all of you M$ apologists can jump on me,

    Enjoy,

    Charlie

    charlie, Feb 25, 2004

  2. charlie

    Guest Guest

    The guys who operate these file swapping sites may believe in free software,
    but they won't think twice about selling user lists to Microsoft for a few
    thousand bucks.

    Guest, Feb 28, 2004

  3. charlie

    charlie Guest

    There is a BIG difference between being on a user list and someone's
    recording all of your activities.

    The type of information that MS had to have collected to do what they
    did demonstrates that they have the ability and are actively monitoring and
    recording
    us. They also had to have had this technology in place before this occasion
    arose so
    there must be more to it than we know.

    I would not be surprised though, when you figure that the recording industry
    is able to
    control the politicians and judges even to the point where they were for a
    while able to
    subpoena from ISPs, without prior approval of a judge, the identities of
    people whom
    they suspected of downloading music. They were able to do this in spite of
    the fact that
    none of the US law enforcement agencies are able to.

    charlie, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Hey fellas, there's no need to panic. MS it's not a evil company that log
    it's users!

    How would MS know if you have or not downloaded ilegal code?

    When you register for a Kazaa or eMule or any other P2P network, it asks for
    your email. You download ilegal code. Your downloaded files are
    automatically shared with other users. Other users search for the ilegal
    file, the P2P network says "user with email has the
    file".

    Thus, all that MS, RIAA, or anybody else needs to do is search for the
    ilegal file and get the email from who has it.

    []'s

    Guilherme Magalhães -

    Lead Technology Consultant - Flag IntelliWan Brazil
    Phone: +55 31 9918-4374, +55 31 3261-6977

    MCSD - MCSD for .NET - MCAD - MCDBA - MCT
    Macromedia Certified Professional - MMCP
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - MVP

    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."
    - Carl Sagan

    Guilherme Magalhães [MVP], Feb 28, 2004
  5. charlie

    charlie Guest

    Thank you,
    I did not know that.
    I've not done any downloading.

    Charlie

    charlie, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Summary: Don't download ilegal code.

    Exactly

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Mar 2, 2004
  7. charlie

    Guest Guest

    When a company sells / submits user lists, it typically contains informtion
    about spending / downloading habits for marketing / legal purposes.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2004