    When I first bought my computer, I hooked everything up, left for work without starting it for the first time. Unknowingly, my 6 year old started it while I was gone and inserted an old bootleg WindowsXP disk into the dvd drive! Came home that evening, started the computer and saw a screen which prompted me to proceed with the install of this bootleg disk! Horrified, I immediately removed the disk from the drive and proceeded to start my computer. Everything worked beautifully (thank God), except for restart. Hasn't worked since...
    Any ideas? Restart would sure make life a lot easier. Thanks.

    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
    pbar1000, Apr 18, 2008

  2. pbar1000

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Looking into my device manager, I see a non-plug and play driver with an exclamation point in yellow next to "Serial". Looking at the properties, in the general tab, it says "This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed(Code 24)". Device usage states that it is enabled. The troubleshooter tells me to uninstall, then re-install this driver. The driver tab says it is stopped. I tried starting it by clicking the "start" button in the driver tab and got this: Serial;C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll;Windows XP USER API Client DLL;C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe;Microsoft Management Console;The system encountered the following error while attempting to start the service. The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    In the driver tab there is also a startup type option menu, which is currently in the "automatic" option. Other options include: boot; demand; system; disabled. Driver details tab states this path: ROOT/LEGACY_SERIAL/0000.
    If it has nothing to do with my restart problem, no need to explain it (unless it is an important issue!) I'm currently looking into a restore of my original registry that came with the PC when I bought it. Don't know if it is possible in XP. Thanks....

    Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
    pbar1000, Apr 20, 2008

  3. pbar1000

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Almost a month now! No reply? Anyone out there?

    pbar1000, May 13, 2008
  4. pbar1000

    BohemianGeek

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    manually restart

    hi, have you tried to back date your PC? You can pick a date before your daughter inserted the CD.

    got this from microsoft.

    To perform a system restore, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
    2. On the General tab, click Launch System Restore.
    3. Select Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
    4. Calendar dates in bold are possible restore points. Click the most recent one to view system restore information.
    5. Select a system checkpoint or an installation restore point, and then click Next.
    6. Close all other programs.
    7. To start the system restore, click Next.
    8. Your computer restarts.
    9. Repeat steps 1 through 8 until you fix your configuration issue.

    if this doesn't work; there's a "Selective startup", but be careful in clearing the Load System Services; because this will delete all restore points from the System Restore utility.
    hope the first works,

    :girl:

    BohemianGeek, May 14, 2008
  5. pbar1000

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for responding. Restore will not go back far enough (2 years). Wondering if this can be resolved without complete restore.
    Restart would sure make life a lot easier.

    pbar1000, May 17, 2008
  6. pbar1000

    BohemianGeek

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oh, sorry I forgot that part.
    I believe the easiest way is to reinstall your OS (do a repair/reinstall) because the bootlegged OS is interrupting.
    You can also check the BIOS first, to see if the bootlegged one is there. Sorry I couldn’t help further.

    BohemianGeek, May 22, 2008
  7. pbar1000

    pbar1000

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2008
    Messages:
    13
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have learned that the bootlegged version did not install. I have the genuine registered Windows XP SP3. I did a OS repair without a complete restore. Still to no avail. Thanks for responding.

    pbar1000, Jun 20, 2008