    to use?.

    I do haveNorton antivirus installed should that not deal with it? Advice
    please.

    Geoff/Elaine, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Geoff/Elaine

    Livewire Guest

    Probably it is a con; and if you download their "free" software it will
    probably show you are infected, then offer a zapping program at a cost.

    However, you can do it or free.

    Google for, download and install these very good, freeeware programs.
    They will keep you safe -- but make sure you keep them and your virus
    program as current as possible with online updates. I check every time I
    run them, which is a few times a week.

    Spybot Search and Destroy -- zaps trojans and all sypware

    Adaware by Lavasoft -- does the same as above. Using both, one will
    catch what the other missses.

    Spywareblaster -- uses a database of known spyware programes to warn you
    when you (or a malicious website without your knowledge) tries to
    install one on your machine.

    A good firewall -- such as Zone Alarm, Agnitum Outpost.

    Livewire, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Geoff/Elaine

    Ingeborg Guest

    I would never use software which I get this way.

    Norton antivirus is not supposed to handle ad- and spyware, since it are no
    virusses. Try using adaware <www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware> and/or
    spybot <www.safer-networking.org>

    Ingeborg, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Geoff/Elaine

    joevan Guest

    Do not take any offers made by people sending you unsolicited email.
    Some links below that you can make use of to help you decide what you
    need. You definitly need a firewall.
    Also download and use the ones at the bottom of this list such as
    spywareblaster and spybot.
    joevan

    General security steps
    ---------------------

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/security/general/guide/overview.htm

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    Get patched up immediately
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    Alternatively, order the free Microsoft security CD
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

    Firewall:
    ---------
    Outpost 2.0
    Outpost 1.0 (free)
    www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html
    Outpost Firewall Guide
    http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm
    AGNIS for Outpost: Outpost Ad Block List
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#Outpost

    Sygate
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

    Zone Alarm
    http://www.zonelabs.com/

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    Anit Spyware/Hijackers
    ----------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

    joevan, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Geoff/Elaine

    Ionizer Guest

    As the others are saying, there are many good, free and effective
    spyware/adware removers available. But there are also a *lot* of bogus
    tools out there: http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

    And do yourself and all of mankind a favour- delete all spam emails
    without reading them.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 10, 2004
  6. Geoff/Elaine

    Linda Guest

    Ignore them. If your only communication has been via emails received by you
    from them, they can't possibly know whether you do/don't have spyware on
    your pc unless it's their spyware.

    Linda, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Geoff/Elaine

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Geoff/Elaine vaguely muttered something like ...
    Most unsolicited software offered is some kind of con, in my experience. In
    the case of many of the scams you describe it is certauinly a con, and in
    many cases the crap you download will be not just a Virus, but may also be a
    Trojan, Spyware and may cost a shit-load more than just money in the long
    run.
    Set up Norton to scan all incoming emails for viruses, update it regularly
    and keep scanning with it regularly. Norton AV will not stop spam, but it
    will stop most Viruses and other malware if it's allowed to.

    Read the help files, they are informative, if a little long-winded .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) Homer Rules !!!

    Paul - xxx, Sep 10, 2004
  8. Geoff/Elaine

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:29:26 GMT, Geoff/Elaine wrote:

    To help stop getting spam you shouldn't post using your account name (in
    any case) or an unmunged address.
    http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_news_troubleshooting_howavoid
    or
    It's a con.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 10, 2004
  9. Geoff/Elaine

    aguy Guest

    You have already gotten some answers with some good info, and a little
    not so good info. This is just my two cents worth.

    I would never, NEVER, N E V E R buy anything that was advertised via
    SPAM. The theory is that if you reward a company that SPAMs, by giving
    them business, you encourge SPAM. Also, if your product is any good,
    you don't need to SPAM.

    Norton MUST be updated at least once a week, that is critical. Norton
    is the best product of it's kind so stick with it. It will find/fix A
    FEW type of adware/spyware/etc., the generic name is malware. I know
    that it will because it recently told me I had some and it was
    correct. It also challenged a couple of items that were okay, so it is
    not foolproof.

    After a recent mistake, on my part, one of my computers was filled to
    the brim with malware. All it took was one click of an OK button
    instead of a CANCEL, and the machine was essentially trashed. Because
    I didn't want to spend the days in reloading some exotic software, I
    removed the malware.

    What an experience! I had to use five different programs to find it
    all. None of the ones I tried got everything. Actually, some of the
    infections, none of the programs got, I found them with a manual
    search of the registry.

    Note to those who are contemplating the purchase of this
    software...read the reviews carefully. There are some products that
    are a LOT better than others in doing this.

    Also, instruct EVERY user of your computer that ANY popup asking to
    load something must be declined. If you ever click on one of these,
    you loose your computer privliges for two months. Never, EVER, NEVER
    allow any company to load anything via a popup. The only exceptions
    MIGHT be Microsoft or Norton.

    Things like Precision Time and Weatherbug are advertised by their
    publisher as giving you good stuff for free. They are actually malware
    and are a major problem. The "search bar" additions are even worse.
    NEVER accept anyone's 'enhansement" to help with searches. Most are
    malware.

    aguy, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Geoff/Elaine

    Plato Guest

    I always trust spam emails 100% and cant wait to send them my credit
    card info.

    Plato, Sep 11, 2004
  11. Every once in a while I bring this up, just to keep it alive out there:

    http://blinkynet.net/spag/boulder.html

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 11, 2004