    currently using network magic. This neighbor helped install my new router 6
    months ago and since them we have had a fallen out. I am tracking everything
    they do, they can track me if they know what they are doing. What can I do?

    Guest, Mar 8, 2007

  2. Guest

    Hertz_Donut Guest

    Until you learn how to set up your own network, you will be vulnerable.

    Here is what *must* be done to secure your wireless network:

    1. Change the default password on the router.
    2. Enable the highest level of encryption that is supported by all clients.
    The current "best" encryption is WPA2 with AES. You claim encryption "will
    not work", but it is merely that you do not know how to set it up.
    3. Once each device has connected, tell it that your network is the
    "preferred network", and tick the box to automatically connect only to
    preferred networks.
    4. Once #3 has been completed on each client, disable SSID broadcast.
    5. Set up MAC address filtering, allowing only your computers to connect to
    the network.

    If you leave any one of the above steps out, your network will be
    vulnerable.

    I suggest you visit your local library and borrow a book on home networking,
    or visit a Best Buy or CompUSA and have their techs come out and lock down
    your network.

    Honu

    Hertz_Donut, Mar 8, 2007

  3. Guest

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what brand/model router do you have? what operating system versions
    are on the wireless computers?

    depending on where you live, your ISP/service provider may be able
    to help if this is "theft of services".

    minimally, you need to change the router password, and change the
    encryption on the wireless.

    you should also check permissions on your computers for file
    sharing, etc.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 8, 2007
  4. Guest

    Frankster Guest

    I have tried to apply security and encryption, but it won't work.

    You should return all malfunctioning equipment to the vendor where you
    bought them and demand a replacement with units that work.
    Yeah, there is no doubt that you have defective units. These computers
    should not be shutting down. Take them all back.
    Keep good logs for possible use in a criminal case.
    Damn. You think you know someone, and then something like this happens.
    Wonder why all your neighbors have turned against you like that. Figures!
    No, computer illiteracy is not a crime, yet.
    Well, that's good. At least you have magic to fall back on. You're gonna
    need it. Do you watch Hero's?
    Guess he just went over to the dark side.
    Good. The FBI will probably ask you for your records.
    You might want to try an Internet Cafe or Kiosk so you can still get your
    work done.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Mar 8, 2007
  5. Hi
    May be you should explain in technical terms what is it exactly the unknown
    devices, and why you thing that someone is tracking you. or and there is a
    none authorized usage of your system.
    While it is clear that you are very concern their is No technical
    information to understand what you have and what can be done about it..
    In and case as general info, first read this.
    Why do I see Wireless connections that are not mine in my Wireless Network
    display?
    Answer here, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal
    If you use Wireless security that is at least WPA or stronger, and you
    generated you own passphrase after the initial installation was done I doubt
    that your Wireless security is compromised.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 8, 2007
  6. you cant disable the ssid broadcast because the wireless zero service
    requires it.

    James W. Long, Mar 8, 2007
  7. Guest

    Lem Guest

    WZC doesn't absolutely, positively, "require" broadcast SSID, but doing
    so avoids problems, for example, disconnecting from a "hidden" network
    to connect to a less-preferred network that is not "hidden."

    Read the MS TechNet article at
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/hiddennet.mspx for a
    description of why turning off the ssid broadcast is NOT a good security
    measure.

    Lem, Mar 8, 2007
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I want to thank everyone for all the advice. Jack, you really hit the nail
    on the head here. I have attempted to change the name/password of my router
    and reconfig. all my home computers with the same info, (WEP, no broadcast of
    SSID, etc.) but because I have the 3 other devices (all 3 have come up being
    workstations) on the network that I cannot config, the network goes down
    everytime. I have to undo everything back to unsecure to get everything
    working again because there is no way to get all computers in sync with the
    router. In addition, files and folders mysteriously move to other places, or
    just plain disappear at times.
    I have a Netgear router, all computers run on Windows XP. I have a wifi
    hopper, sniffer, etc. that I use and those programs have come in quite handy.
    Just don't know what to do with the information that I have.

    Guest, Mar 8, 2007
  9. Guest

    Hertz_Donut Guest

    I have a linksys WRT54G, and 5 computers. I have SSID disabled, and Windows
    Wireless Zero Service works just fine...

    Honu

    Hertz_Donut, Mar 9, 2007