    From : <>
    Subject : "IMPORTANT!! Critical security hole in Windows!"

    Dear Windows User!
    New Windows 9x/2000/NT/XP critical patch has been released.
    Due to security problems, your system needs to be updated as earlier as possible.
    You can download an update patch on Windows Update site: http://www.windows-update.com
    Best regards,
    Windows Update Group

    Do I have to go to http://www.windows-update.com?

    Thanks,

    --
    =====================================
    Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Alex Vinokur

    Richard Guest

    First of all, the domain name has nothing to do with microsoft.
    Check it out for yourself and you'll see it is not the update site.
    Secondly, microsoft does not send out e-mails about security patches or any
    other item.
    Thirdly, if you clicked open any attachment, you may now have a virus if you
    are not protected with a good anti-virus detector.

    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

    This is the actual windows update site.

    AVG is a good, free antivirus program.
    www.grisoft.com

    Richard, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Alex Vinokur

    NEMISIES Guest

    Delete It !! Microsoft Does NOT POST UPDATES !!

    NEMISIES, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Alex Vinokur

    Jud Guest

    Jud, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Alex Vinokur

    Sparker9 Guest

    Sparker9, Jun 26, 2003
  6. no, read up a bit, this is a fake.

    [email protected]

  7. Alex Vinokur

    Guest Guest

    DON'T BE A FOOL! Do you really think you're going to get email from a reliable
    source like this? This is a scam or most likely a virus, but it sure isn't a
    genuine patch to the O/S!

    Guest, Jun 26, 2003
  8. Alex Vinokur

    wayne Guest

    this will install a Trojan on your computer if you like viruses and want
    someone to use your computer to send Spam go ahead and download it!

    Otherwise delete it.

    any Microsoft patch will be located at Microsoft.com

    use your browser to go to any site as links can be faked in messages too!

    Wayne

    wayne, Jun 26, 2003
  9. Alex Vinokur

    Marty Guest

    Somewhere around Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:49:51 +0300, while reading
    alt.os.windows2000, I think I thought I saw this post from "Alex Vinokur"
    Definitely not. It is not even a US web site, it's nothing like what
    Microsoft would send, Microsoft probably wouldn't say "as earlier as
    possible".

    I don't know what they're up to, but it's probably no good. There is a
    legitimate web site called windowsupdate.com, but this is not them.

    Marty, Jun 26, 2003
  10. It's not absolutely essential, ie, your PC won't stop working or
    anything if you don't. Most people recommend updating. I don't, but
    then I have troubles with anything post-SP2.

    * Usenet is a black hole. Once you're in, you can never get out.

    E-mail: evilbill @ lineone . net (remove spaces to e-mail)
    AIM: EvilBill1782
    MSN: (do not e-mail me here!)
    Web: http://www.angelfire.com/alt/evilbill/index.html

    Matriarch Kheperkare - Lvl 94 Javazon - Open
    Matriarch EB-Amarice - Lvl 92 Bowazon - USWest

    EvilBill[AGQx], Jun 26, 2003
  11. Alex Vinokur

    Slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as EvilBill[AGQx] continued:
    Is your name Bullis ?
    Are you absolutely devoid of all knowledge ?
    Read the other answers.

    "If you ain't sure just say so, don't make yourself look really dumb."

    Slumpy, Jun 26, 2003
  12. Alex Vinokur

    Silver Blade Guest

    No,

    That site is a fake. Do NOT download anything from it.

    Silver Blade, Jun 26, 2003
  13. Diabolic Preacher, Jun 26, 2003
  14. Alex Vinokur

    Marty Guest

    Somewhere around Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:56:15 +0100, while reading
    microsoft.public.win2000.general, I think I thought I saw this post from
    Where did you get that information? I get:
    Domain Name : WINDOWS-UPDATE.COM
    Created On : 2003-06-22
    Expiration Date : 2004-06-22
    Registrant Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
    Registrant Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
    Registrant City : Stockholm
    Registrant State/Province : N/a
    Registrant Postal Code : 11322
    Registrant Country : SE
    Admin Handle : EP31617
    Admin Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
    Admin Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
    Admin City : Stockholm
    Admin State/Province : N/a
    Admin Postal Code : 11322
    Admin Country : SE
    Admin Phone : +46.8312097
    Admin Email :
    Tech Handle : EP31617
    Tech Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
    Tech Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
    Tech City : Stockholm
    Tech State/Province : N/a
    Tech Postal Code : 11322
    Tech Country : SE
    Tech Phone : +46.8312097
    Tech Email :
    Billing Handle : EP31617
    Billing Name : Ewa Pasternak Ivarsson
    Billing Street1 : Sigtunagatan 16
    Billing City : Stockholm
    Billing State/Province : N/a
    Billing Postal Code : 11322
    Billing Country : SE
    Billing Phone : +46.8312097
    Billing Email :
    Name Server : CP1.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
    Name Server : CP2.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
    Name Server : CP3.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
    Name Server : CP4.MYHOSTDNS.ORG
    Registrar Name : NAMEBAY
    Registrar WebSite : http://www.namebay.com

    Marty, Jun 26, 2003
  15. Alex Vinokur

    trout Guest

    Marty wrote:
    I got the same result as "Hairy", using:
    http://www.canufly.net/~georgegg/dns/

    trout, Jun 27, 2003
  16. That's a bogus web site. Go at your own risk.

    Jason de Bougainville, Jun 27, 2003
  17. Alex Vinokur

    aNdY_05 Guest

    I have also received that email and turned out to be a virus.
    My advice - delete it without opening

    aNdY_05, Jun 27, 2003
  18. Alex Vinokur

    Richard Guest

    You need to clean your glasses and your monitor.
    First line on the website in big bold letters "FREE".
    There is a "pro" version which you pay for.

    Richard, Jun 27, 2003
  19. Alex Vinokur

    Richard Guest

    Note the frickin domain name. where does it say microsoft.com?

    Richard, Jun 27, 2003
  20. Alex Vinokur

    Richard Guest

    Your results shown are for the IP block owner, not the domain name.
    If you'd scroll up just above what you copied, you'd find the actual
    information.

    Richard, Jun 27, 2003