I have come across a problem, Iphoto - large amounts of photos - tiffs vs. jpegs - photoshop

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bedroomdj2005, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Alright, well im coming across a problem and i want to hear what you
    guys(and girls) think i should do. I use iPhoto to upload my images
    from all three of my camera, Canon powershot A70, Nikon DH2 and D70.
    Just by telling you that you know that i shoot in Jpeg because of the
    amount i can fit on a card and the FPS. So usually after i import the
    photos i export the ones i want to work on to TIFF and work with
    Photoshop CS. Ok... well this wasn't a problem till i reached ~5500
    pictures. After that iPhoto seemed to die. So I got a few questions...

    1) How do you think i should get the photos off the camera?

    2) Should i convert them right away to TIFF files(and buy an external
    HD)?

    3) Should i bypass iPhoto all together and just organize my files with
    Photoshop CS?

    4) RAW..... Is it really worth it to shoot in RAW and convert to
    TIFF... I know that i have lost a few jobs because the files weren't
    RAW

    My fields of photography include... snowboard photographer, mountain
    bike, mostly action sports, where im out in the field for a whole
    day/weekend and use up all my memory cards.

    Got a brand new 12inch PowerBook, 80gigs, ~700memory

    Thanks guys, just in a really tight situation and need to find a way
    out thanks

    Bedroomdj2005, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Bedroomdj2005

    Ken Prager Guest

    I am a Mac user with a D100. Here is my 2 cents...

    1) I use iView Multimedia Pro to organize my photos.

    2) I only use iPhoto when I want to take advantage of Apple's web
    publishing, print publishing, or book publishing services. I only
    import into iPhoto those photos that I plan to publish.

    3) I typically use jpeg for action shots because I don't want to process
    every image. This is especially true with sports photos and when in
    "snapshot mode." However, I don't do this for a living. I would shoot
    in RAW mode if I did this for a living.

    4) If I am printing a batch of photos and just do rudimentary processing
    (scaling, contrast enhancement) then I will save the result as TIFF but
    throw them away after I'm done printing. If I perform more advanced
    processing then I'll keep the result in either TIFF or PS format.

    HTH,

    KP

    Ken Prager, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Bedroomdj2005

    Don Guest

    1) I prefer a card reader, and just drag and drop to my hard drive.

    2) See answer to (4)

    3) I like BreezeBrowser and an organized directory structure, but that's on
    a PC. I don't know about Apple software.

    4) With that small of a drive, you probably won't want to store long-term in
    RAW due to file size. That doesn't mean you can't shoot in RAW. I shoot
    everything in RAW (Canon G2), and convert to 16-bit TIFF. I then do all of
    the processing that PS will allow in 16-bit format, then convert to 8-bit
    for the rest of the processing. This allows preservation of the full color
    depth untill the color correction, brightness, contrast, sharpening, etc.
    are done. The further steps, such as perspective, etc., don't need the
    16-bit depth. You can then probably store the finished product as JPEG with
    modest compression. You can obviously retain the RAW for those clients that
    require them. Perhaps archive separately by the job to DVDs?

    I do archive the RAW files, but I have a total of 340 GB on my desktop
    machine. My archives total about 45GB at the moment, with backup to a
    separate drive. It appears that drive capacities are increasing faster than
    my archive sizes, so I don't forsee a future problem.

    Don

    Don, Aug 9, 2004
  4. you could try Kodak's Easyshare for MacOS X. Version is pretty nice,
    supports large catalog sizes and has links to Ofoto services for printing
    and sharing.

    V4 will be available tomorow if when we get the web version back up.

    It's free, so trying it won't cost you anything. It'll import your iphoto
    library so anything that you have already done will be preserved.

    William Jackson, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Bedroomdj2005

    leo Guest

    I shoot RAW and use Capture One and Photoshop CS on Windows. I'd trash
    iPhoto right away. It doesn't take gamma and ICC into consideration. I heard
    Extensis Portfolio 7 can handle RAW. I am in the process of evaluating it.

    I don't understand how you could lost business because you're not using RAW.

    leo, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Bedroomdj2005

    Alfred Molon Guest

    I'd also like to understand that. Are there any photo buyers who insist
    on getting a RAW file ?

    Alfred Molon, Aug 9, 2004
  7. Bedroomdj2005

    GSW Guest

    I don't understand why you would convert from JPEG to TIFF. I mean
    once the file has been created as a JPEG you loose alot of colors
    and things get compressed, to switch to TIFF after all that loss
    would seem like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

    It would seem you would want to start with RAW if your think
    you need TIFF to edit with to get the kind of results you want.

    If your loosing customers because you don't want to shoot in
    RAW, then that too would seem like a excelent reason for you
    to start shooting in RAW mode.

    My plan is to save everything I'm truely serious about in RAW,
    arcive it to CD and/or DVD. Preview in JPEG, and convert to TIFF
    if I really think the photo is good enough to spend the time to
    tweak it with PhotoShop... If I decide to go through all that,
    then I will also save the edited TIFF file, convert to JPEG if
    for some reason I need it in that format...

    I'll also be looking into JPEG 2000.

    GSW, Aug 12, 2004