    Would it be possible to delete it another way, but I have to find it first.
    All help gratefully received.
    Karen

    Angel thoughts, Apr 5, 2004

  2. Angel thoughts

    Trent SC Guest

    Hi guys,
    Click on http://housecall.antivirus.com and run their online scan/cleanup

    Trent SC, Apr 5, 2004

  3. That has not worked either. It only scanned 17000 files and my pc has a
    total of 32000. i ticked it to scan the whole pc. Any other ideas that i can
    try?
    Karen

    Angel thoughts, Apr 5, 2004
  4. Angel thoughts

    Trent SC Guest

    Hi guys,
    OK, so AVG, Panda and Trend Micro all say you have no infection. Could it
    be that you're not infected? Many viruses send propagate by sending
    themselves to everyone in an address book, at the same time spoofing the
    address in the 'from' field, so it's quite possible that someone who has
    your email details in their address book is infected.

    Trent SC, Apr 5, 2004
  5. How can i be sure it is not a virus though. And why when pandas online scan
    finds it does IE crash? It actually detects this virus in my email folder
    then it dies. Not sure what to do next?
    Thanks for all your help Trent.

    Angel thoughts, Apr 5, 2004
  6. Angel thoughts

    °Mike° Guest

  7. Angel thoughts

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:41:27 +0100, in
    <b6fcc.31$>
    Angel thoughts scrawled:

    Delete ALL emails from your inbox/outbox/sent items, except
    those that you absolutely need to keep. Then go to
    Tools / Options / Maintenance ... 'Clean up now'.
    Choose 'Delete' and then 'Compact'. Close O.E. (in fact, close
    EVERYTHING) and then run the virus scanner again.

    °Mike°, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Angel thoughts

    Trent SC Guest

    Hi guys,
    Let's go back one step and make sure that we're getting this right. Do you
    still have the email server report telling you that you have a virus? Which
    email server was it? Normally, it will tell you to whom you had tried to
    send an email. Did you send any emails to that person? If not, I go back
    to my earlier comment about whether it's actually your computer which is
    infected. And I take on board your comment about running Panda and seeing
    it crash IE mid-report, so have you tried the browser Mozilla or Opera?

    A couple of sites on a google search suggest that your virus might be
    travelling under the Netksy.B banner, so it might be worth doing a search
    for removal tools for that virus as well.

    Trent SC, Apr 5, 2004
  9. Angel thoughts

    Tommy Guest

    Internet Explorer crashing probably has nothing to do with the virus, and
    everything to do with a huge Temporary Internet File folder. In IE, go to
    tools/options/general/temporary internet files. Hit "delete files" and
    "delete cookies". This may take a few minutes if you haven't done it before,
    give it at least 10 min to finish if its a lot of stuff.

    Close IE, and restart the pc, then go back and run the housecall, or panda
    scans.

    I would set OE to not allow opening of dangerous attachments! In
    tools/options/security/virus protection. You should always do this. Upgrade
    to IE6 if you can't!

    Not much info available on Somefool, described in posts as bagle.j, and
    tricky.

    People that had it claimed that "housecall" got rid of it.

    Tommy, Apr 5, 2004
  10. snip
    Ok, deleted ALL emails in all folders and I still have the same problem. I
    tried to scan only my email folders on Pandas activescan and it still
    crashes IE6. Same report. Tried repairing IE but with the same results.
    Tried Trend PC cillin and still no virus showing. Ok, I may have got rid of
    the virus but why is IE crashing on anti virus scan pages?
    Karen

    Angel thoughts, Apr 5, 2004
  11. Angel thoughts

    Trent SC Guest

    snip
    You may have deleted the original virus from your inbox, but the infection
    may well have spread to other parts of your hard drive. If you can,
    download and run Opera (www.opera.com or another cut-down, non-Microsoft
    browser like Mozilla and see if you can run Panda from there rather than
    from IE.

    Trent SC, Apr 5, 2004
  12. Angel thoughts

    Tommy Guest

    You cleaned out OE, but not IE.'
    Read my post more carefully.
    Also, afterwards, see my website for more info on pc cleaning, antivirus and
    antispam stuff. If you do what I recommend, you could almost do without a
    virus checker. So much disinformation these days that keeps people from
    getting the right protection.

    Viruses are everywhere, they are much worse on universities and large
    networks where they do more damage, and net admins spend time and money on
    them. Its amazing, look at this link when you have
    time:http://project.mail.msu.edu/~rrdtool/malmail.html#virus

    Tommy, Apr 5, 2004
  13. Angel thoughts

    reid decker Guest

    I hate to be repetitious, but go to help,click on System Restore, set a
    restore date back to when you didn't have the virus. It even helped me when
    I was getting kicked off my ISP.

    reid decker, Apr 6, 2004
  14. Angel thoughts

    HB Guest

    HB, Apr 6, 2004
  15. Angel thoughts

    Trent SC Guest

    System Restore isn't a feature of Windows 98.

    Trent SC, Apr 6, 2004
  16. Angel thoughts

    VooDoo Guest

    duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. My helmet's too tight mommy!

    VooDoo, Apr 6, 2004