I have a serious problem with my hdd partitions..please help.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ashjas, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    Hi,

    This has happened 3-4 times since about a month.

    The problem that i am having is that an unknown setup file
    automatically resides on my partitions that has a size of about 48
    KB..I virus checked it with bitdefender with latest virus
    signatures..but it isnt infected..

    But what it does is that it changes the default partition icon that win
    xp shows for the partitions for a HDD..here are the images image..::

    image1::http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1773/1qo3.png
    image2::http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8199/2es2.png
    image3::http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/227/3oc9.png

    earlier it was for only drive d and e..and now its for drive c and e..

    also one can see an autorun file(in image2) that is also generated with
    that setup file that has the following contents::

    [autorun]
    open=setup.exe
    icon=setup.exe,0

    And when i delete that setup file..the icon of the partition doessnot
    restores to the default hdd icon
    (which is the icon of store1(D:) partition that is correct as no setup
    file resides on that partition)
    but shows the same icon which the windows shows for file types that
    are not registered to be opened by any application defaultly..

    earlier..after deleting that setup file..i had to reformat my partition
    to get back that icon..

    well there is no harm in such a situation..no virus..no unexpected
    behaviour..or something..but this thing is irrating..

    And if i restore the system partition from an image ,to check if there
    is something wrong with the system files..then also that icon of the
    other partitions remain as it is..

    Please help me in figuring out what is happening..

    I am providing a link for the suspicious setup file aswell..which i
    have checked for virus(image3)..and it passed clean..

    Thanks for helping..

    ashjas, Aug 28, 2006

  2. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    ashjas, Aug 28, 2006

  3. ashjas

    Meat Plow Guest

    Where did the setup file come from? What if any are its properties?

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2006
  4. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    I dont know where that file came from.
    It automatically came from somewhere...

    ashjas, Aug 28, 2006
  5. ashjas

    Meat Plow Guest

    What happens when you try to run it?

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2006
  6. ashjas

    ashjas Guest

    nothing happens when i run that file..

    ashjas, Aug 28, 2006
  7. ashjas

    Meat Plow Guest

    I'll see if I can get some info on it when I can get to a PC with a binary
    decompiler.

    Meat Plow, Aug 28, 2006
  8. ashjas

    Pennywise Guest

    I was going to look at it, but NOD32 won't let me download it.
    Claims (which I'm going to trust)
    Probably a variant of Win43\Medbot.BD.trojan

    Pennywise, Aug 29, 2006
  9. ashjas

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Aug 29, 2006