    onto a CD all the software tell me that he files are bigger than the
    destination - I should have 300MB of blank space - what gives?

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Marc

    slumpy Guest

    Voicing an opinion as worthless as a wino at a wedding, Marc postulated...
    You are trying to create a music cd or a data cd ?

    Data cd's for mp3's :)

    slumpy, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Marc

    MJP Guest

    Depending on what software you are using, make sure you are writing a data
    CD as opposed to an audio CD.
    Otherwise the burning program is converting your mp3's to CDA files.

    MJP

    MJP, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Audio CDs are based on TIME.
    Data CDs are based on SPACE.

    -= Hawk =-, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Thanks y'all that's what I thought but I wasn't positive. Now for another
    question. Why don't the people that write the software take this into
    consideration if you want to burn an MP3 disc convert them to wav(cda) butt
    leave them as MPs or give you the option?

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 18, 2004
  6. Marc

    Senti Guest

    Marc did mumble mLCOb.14213$...
    They do... that's why you have the option to (and I'll take this slowly for
    you...) burn... as... Audio ...OR ...as ...Data

    Audio for music CD, Data for mp3/wav/etc

    Senti, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Last time I checked MP3/WAV/etc. were audio not data! Data to me have
    extensions like xls, doc, txt, exe, dll etc. I have looked and from what
    I've read the manuals are full of assumptions and jargon. This is a great
    example.

    Thanks

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Howdy!

    Ehh - Because, if it's not 44.1Khz sampling stereo 16 bit, it won't
    play?

    If they're .WAV, they're not .MP3.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Marc

    Senti Guest

    Marc did mumble 6GIOb.14663$...
    When you burn an "audio" cd, the 'data' is converted to, and stored as a
    ..cda file on the cd. This is the type of file that can be played by regular
    cd players.

    When you burn MP3's or WAV files onto a cd, you are actually burning a
    "data" cd. These files are stored in the exact same format as on your
    computer. Some of the newer cd-players can read one or both (or more) of
    these. But it is still called a "data cd".

    These are the accepted (standard even?) usages when talking about burning
    cd's. The jargon won't change because you don't like it or are not used to
    thinking of it that way. Take some time to learn the "technical" (or even
    the 'commonly accepted') terms for the technology you are using before you
    argue that they are wrong...

    Senti, Jan 19, 2004
  10. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Check again.

    -= Hawk =-, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Marc

    Marc Guest

    That's my very point the "commonly accepted language" is the jargon that
    most "experts" like to spout. I work in CE and it's also jargon rich but I
    go out of my way when I explain technology to use as little jargon as I can
    and when I do I explain the terms and make sure they understand. Technology
    at this level doesn't have to be difficult but it's kept this way for the
    elitist and the techno geeks. To the lay man the "data" is all the same -
    "0 or 1" or "ons than offs".
    The manuals are written by some tech writer that too often came up in the
    industry and vocabulary is jargon based. So lighten up I only ask question
    here after I've spend to much time trying to understand the manual.

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 19, 2004
  12. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    I'm fairly certain the average imbecile could grasp
    the difference between AUDIO and DATA.

    -= Hawk =-, Jan 19, 2004
  13. Howdy!

    Marc - AUDIO is an analog signal propagated through a media.

    .WAV and .MP3 are both DATA files.

    Now, what they PRODUCE normally is audio ... but they're data, none
    the less.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 19, 2004
  14. Howdy!

    Why, yes, it is. Which is why .MP3s and .WAVs are data files ...

    And, no, it's not kept that way for the elitist and techno geeks -
    it's kept that way because it IS that way. Your muttering won't change
    that.
    And you got an answer, including a quick and a not-so-quick
    explanation.

    But it's one you already understood, just didn't KNOW you understood

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 19, 2004
  15. Marc

    Senti Guest

    Marc did mumble Q_QOb.14943$...
    See Hawks and Ralphs posts... both are pretty much what I would reply with
    :)

    Senti, Jan 19, 2004
  16. Marc

    Marc Guest

    So your telling me - albeit - erroneously - that because MP3 and WAV are 1
    and 0 their data and CDs are not. Well you better go and check out how a CD
    is recorded - 1 and 0 - so I guess that makes them data also! So now can
    you explain how the average lay man based on your "definition" is to tell
    the difference. Or maybe your the imbecile for making these gross
    assumption - those elitist and techno geeks. Would you like me to send you
    a little explanation of all that is entailed in either of the manufacturing
    of CD and DVD or maybe just howbig the machine is - OH sorry I making the
    assumption that you have actually seen how they're made. I sell equipment
    that is used in the process. Now can you explain to me what takes place in
    recording of a CD - don't cheat and look it up.

    Marc

    Marc, Jan 20, 2004
  17. Marc

    wisefool Guest

    Marc said:
    Actually Marc, we'd be quite happy to explain it if you'd just first explain
    exactly
    how bread is baked in your local bakery -- don't read about it, that would
    be too
    geeky. Ask the baker himself. We really need to know that too y'know.

    wisefool

    wisefool, Jan 20, 2004
  18. Marc

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    It's elitest to expect someone to grasp the difference
    between audio and data discs after it's been explained
    a dozen times? How many more times do you need
    the same clue hammered into that concrete block
    you're passing off as a head?

    -= Hawk =-, Jan 20, 2004
  19. Marc

    wisefool Guest

    Marc said:
    Data and audio have perfectly good definitions, but in colloquial usage with
    reference to CD burning, *audio* means uncompressed tracks that are
    playable on any CD player. Desktop CD burning programs use the word
    in this way, at least on the surface.

    That's all I'm gonna say on this topic. Otherwise I'm gonna have to
    recommend the comfy chair.
    You just told us -- 1 and 0. Seems a pretty good summary to me.

    Now about this bakery...

    wisefool, Jan 20, 2004
  20. Marc

    wisefool Guest

    Marc said:
    I think I know where he is going wrong:
    0 -> on
    1 -> off
    he implies

    No wonder he can't understand the logical statements in the manual.

    wisefool, Jan 20, 2004