    I also have been given a 5000 series, any swapable bits?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Yes, I'm pretty sure those Apples would be recent enough to have PCI
    slots in them. Only the very first generation of Power Macs would have
    had NuBus slots--6100, 7100 and 8100.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 14, 2004

  3. Yes, I'm pretty sure those Apples would be recent enough to have PCI

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 14, 2004
  4. thing

    Mike Dee Guest

    PCI
    Internal SCSI drive can be expensive to upgrade.

    Can be taken up to 1GB RAM [not bad for an 8 yr old 'puter]

    G3 & G4 upgrade cards [PCI slot] Sonnet, PowerLogix, Newer, XLR8
    etc:
    <http://www.macspeedzone.com/archive/5.0/upgrades/g4_zif/nov_00.shtml>
    Dunno if still being produced but ebay etc is a good source.
    Nope, better give it away again [to me] :)
    Dunno, RAM may/may not be compatable. Internal IDE drive is not
    compatable. Single PCI slot may contain something useable.
    Floppy drive can be swapped out.

    Mike Dee, Dec 14, 2004
  6. thing

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mike Dee, Dec 14, 2004
  7. thing

    Mike Dee Guest

    Mike Dee, Dec 14, 2004
  8. thing

    thing Guest

    thanks

    It has 3 x slots that look like PCI slots, I have several scsi cards and
    drives I can use....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Dec 14, 2004
  10. thing

    thing Guest

    Thanks

    I do not want to spend heaps on it....I have it lying around so wanted
    to do just enough to make it farily usable as a first Internet PC for a
    Xmas present for a relative.

    I have some scsi bits like drives so I can add them for no cost.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Dec 14, 2004
  12. thing

    thing Guest

    The slot has a NIC in it at present....

    If in wellington that may well be a plan as I do not want it, except as
    spares.

    Will let you know.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Dec 14, 2004
  14. thing

    Mike Dee Guest

    Gee, I'm in the Taranaki region. But I could get my brother-n-law to
    pick it up for me if you have no plans or use for it :)

    addy: <mdtemporary AT hotmail DOT com> will find me, rather than one in
    this header which will bounce.

    Cheers

    Mike Dee, Dec 15, 2004