I have a few questions about setting up a Limousine Service Database for a client

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knowledge, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Good day mates,

    I'm trying to build a database to keep track of information that will
    be stored when my client kicks off his brand new Limousine business.
    Initially it will be a one person operation.

    The fellow is starting on a shoe string. He has no clients at the
    moment.

    He will be carrying people within a 50 mile radius at most. 99% of the
    time he will be moving passengers within a ten mile radius.

    These are the fields I have decided to use for the database so far:

    ID

    First name of caller

    Middle Initial of Caller

    Last Name of Caller

    ID
    Time of Call
    Date of Call
    Telephone number of Caller
    First Name of Caller
    Last Name of Caller
    Address
    City
    State
    Destination
    Charged
    mileage to pickup point
    mileage to destination
    Mapquest URL to their home location
    Comments
    Mapquest URL to Destination
    I have three different programs I can use for the database.

    Which one do you think will do the best job for a one person
    operation? The person who will be doing the data entry, driving,
    bookkkeeping, mopping, cleaning is very proficient with most aspects
    of computers.

    I could use:

    Microsoft Access 2007

    ACT! by Sage 2006

    Goldmine 6.0

    Which program do you reccommend and why?

    Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this?

    www.telebay.com/7777

    Knowledge, Jun 27, 2007

  2. First table, called "clients"
    Address
    City
    State/whatever
    Postal code
    Telephone number of Caller

    Second table, called "trips" or similar
    ID of "client" from above table
    xx > Time of Call
    xx > Date of Call
    DateTime of call (use proper datatype)
    xx > Telephone number of Caller
    xx > First Name of Caller
    xx > Last Name of Caller
    xx > Address
    xx > City
    xx > State
    ...are all in the "clients" table
    xx > Mapquest URL to their home location (see "client" table)
    Now... do you understand relational databases? Tables keyed by a Primary
    Key" iD value?
    A one-man operation with no clients yet? Save your energy and use a
    spreadsheet. If he doesn't already have Excel, use this, which is free:

    http://www.openoffice.org/
    ...which I initially though would have been a web site you were
    developing for the limo guy.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 27, 2007

  3. Knowledge

    why? Guest

    The worst way to do a database.
    Without knowing the business, what's important, what reporting is
    required it's not as simple as you think.

    Database Design
    The Net’s best collection of database design links from your About.com
    guide.
    http://databases.about.com/od/specificproducts/Database_Design.htm - 26k
    - Cached - Similar pages

    Database Design - Introduction
    The original site was the outgrowth of a previous book project,
    Practical Relational Database Design, by Wayne Dick and Tom Jewett. The
    move online featured ...
    www.tomjewett.com/dbdesign/dbdesign.php - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

    Database Design Guide
    This article provides an overview of the most important steps on
    database design. It explains a wide range of design issues, code samples
    included.
    www.smart-it-consulting.com/database/progress-database-design-guide/ -
    51k - Cached - Similar pages

    That's 2 tables? Maybe just a typo.
    If 2 tables with duplication then you need to look at normalisation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalization
    As bad as Access is, you still need to know how to define a DB, work
    with SQL. At least doing a front end form is usually easy, then there is
    the data integrity checking always fun. At least with address there
    should be some sort of online / CD(DVD) based package with all thet
    available.
    Wow, that's still going.

    Can't don't know what you could cope with.

    For my use Access or OpenOffice, maybe some small SQL package like MS
    SQL Server 2005 Express and web based front end, or even Access.

    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx

    Maybe wait for Duane to post a reply about .NET.
    Are you sure about that?

    Me

    why?, Jun 27, 2007
  4. Knowledge

    Knowledge Guest

    Thank you and Mr. Shagnasty for your esteemed and learned opinions.

    Adesso, sono piu confutto che mai!

    Knowledge, Jul 3, 2007
  5. Sounds like a school assignment to me....

    Electric Monk, Jul 3, 2007