    going to do exactly the same thing as I did, resulting in needlessly wasting
    the time of the emergency services operators?

    Mike

    Mike Fletcher, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Mike Fletcher

    Ivor Jones Guest

    message
    I did that once, for a number in Coventry. As (in the UK at least) VoIP
    isn't required to be connectable to the 999/112 service, I don't think
    they were actually doing anything wrong by using numbers starting 999 (so
    I don't think Ofcom or whoever comes into it), but I agree it was somewhat
    daft..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 12, 2005

  3. ....and if done from a cable line costing the cable operator a couple of quid
    for connecting to the emergency services IIRC.

    Peter Andrews, Aug 12, 2005
  4. Mike Fletcher

    Nick Guest

    That's interesting.

    Nick, Aug 12, 2005
  5. My 999 story is that I transfered a customer to 999 by using a Cisco
    IP phone, using the address book, attempting to phone someone in the
    company called Zoe, not realising that my button to go into the
    address book hadn't worked, so just transfered them to 999.

    Andrew.

    Andrew Hodgson, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Mike Fletcher

    Graham Guest

    Pitmy Bowdes used to supply a special telephone to its customers for
    ordering its goods or services.

    It had a bank of permanently programmed one-touch keys intended for end to
    end DTMF signalling. One of the frequently used keys had 999# programmed in
    it, an accident waiting to happen I thought.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Sep 7, 2005