    has since been upgraded.

    What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
    (if any) can I expect from it?

    william mook, Oct 9, 2004

  2. william mook

    DC Guest

    DC, Oct 9, 2004

  3. william mook

    flomers Guest

    I'll be watching for your answer to your questions? Interesting!!

    Joe

    flomers, Oct 9, 2004
  4. What are the needs for an ISP in your area? How much could you charge
    and expect people to sign up? Are there any of the sub-$10/mo ISPs
    operating there? Do you have experience running an ISP? I could go on.
    Owning a few pieces of equipment is a long way from having a business
    plan. Read everything you possibly can at this site:
    http://www.isp-planet.com/
    especially at this link:
    http://isp-planet.com/business/index.html#plan

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 9, 2004
  5. 1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area don't?

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 9, 2004
  6. william mook

    SgtMinor Guest

    That's 'inside-out' thinking, and rarely a succesful business concept.
    "I've got a pickup truck and a lawn mower, should I go into the
    landscaping business?"

    'Outside-in' thinking, where you develop a service based on a perceived
    need, has a greater chance of success.

    As for returns, you'll need to develop a business plan.

    And the system you bought was not 'upgraded' but deemed obsolete.

    SgtMinor, Oct 10, 2004
  7. william mook

    Toolman Tim Guest

    SgtMinor, your final statement is the best advice given yet - after all, if
    someone *else* found it to be no longer up to the task, why expect it to be
    anything practical for this purpose?

    In my opinion, the competition for his proposed ISP is probably too steep
    for customers to want to pay even a budget price for service provided by
    out-of-date equipment.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 10, 2004
  8. william mook

    Conor Guest

    It'd need shitloads of bandwidth for a start, i.e a T1 or T3 line.

    Conor, Oct 10, 2004
  9. william mook

    Conor Guest

    Excellent bandwidth provided by his 1MB DSL...

    Conor, Oct 10, 2004
  10. william mook

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <vbg>

    Toolman Tim, Oct 10, 2004
  11. His post is directly under the original, so... figure it out.

    Bruce the Shark, Oct 10, 2004
  12. 2. Days of experience as an ISP!

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 10, 2004
  13. william mook

    Dan Evans Guest

    A hell of a lot more.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 10, 2004
  14. william mook

    Jim Berwick Guest

    (william mook) wrote in
    What it would take:
    A modem or two
    Couple of phone lines
    Some type of T level net connection for your server

    Then you have a 2 modem ISP, you can support 2 simultaneous users at
    once!

    Realistically, to be your own small ISP, you'll need a modem bank, couple
    of servers, and some type of T level access for your servers. Return?
    Little for you. I hear my employers make it pretty good, that's with
    selling like, 26,000 dialup accounts, a couple hundred DSL accounts, and
    a maybe 1000 or more business accounts (either some type of hosting, web,
    email, etc, or leasing of 1 or more T1 lines).

    Jim Berwick, Oct 10, 2004
  15. william mook

    DC Guest

    *sigh*

    DC, Oct 10, 2004
  16. Oh shut up.

    Bruce the Shark, Oct 10, 2004
  17. william mook

    Piccolo Guest

    I agree with what everyone else has said. You could maybe provide
    service to a few houses with a little more equipment, but that is
    about it. If you are serious, you can check out some webpages,
    including this on

    http://www.isp-planet.com/fixed_wireless/business/wireless_howto_p1.html

    Piccolo, Oct 11, 2004