I got iTunes working with multimedia keys (Windows)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by HC, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. HC

    HC Guest

    I had NO clue what group to post this in so I'll post it here :)

    I just started using iTunes and missed having the use of play, pause,
    stop, etc, keys that were on my keyboard. It took too long to run to
    the computer, open iTunes, hit the pause button, and THEN answer the
    phone ;-) So here's a solution.

    Some very intelligent person wrote a program called iTunesKeys.
    http://www.mattberube.com/software/ituneskeys/ This lets you map
    various function keys to various iTunes functions. It works well, but
    did not include provisions for proprietary keys.

    I discovered that Windows (I believe 2000, XP, and 2003 at the moment)
    has the capability of entirely remapping keys. Basically, each key has
    a HEX code, and Windows can make that HEX code say anything you want. I
    found a cool little program called SharpKeys that did this for me.
    http://www.randyrants.com/2004/03/sharpkeys_11_of.html All I needed to
    do was press my multimedia key(s), and then press the key I wanted to
    map it/them to. I mapped four keys to F6 through F9.

    Then, all I had to do was set up iTunesKeys to make F6 through F9
    perform the appropriate action. And voila! I've got my multimedia keys
    back!

    -HC

    255 0xff 00 0E itunes ipod

    HC, Jan 25, 2006