    nicely.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Rick S.

    Hunt Guest

    And the heat generated by my Toshiba P25 might be an added benefit! :-}

    Hunt

    Hunt, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Rick S.

    Mitch Alsup Guest

    Wrong logic. If you have 4 cards and one goes bad you still have
    75% of you photos available. When you have a single card and it
    goes bad, you are toast.....Its an insurance policy, spread the
    risk.

    Mitch Alsup, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Michael Meissner, Sep 11, 2004
  5. If I were going on a long trip without a laptop, I'd be inclined to go
    for enough 512Mb CF cards for a day or two's shooting (probably two)
    and a standalone protable CD writer.
    <http://www.cameraandphotostore.com/shop/detail/item7791006.html>
    <http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1183/prodtype.asp>

    Every time a card filled up, I'd burn two CD's, one I'd keep, the other
    I'd post home. My only worry with this approch is how to verify the files
    have been sucessfully transfered...

    Mr. M.J. Lush, Sep 11, 2004
  6. Just as a joke to all of you here, check out this link on my website
    regarding getting a 5GB card (really a microdrive) for your camera:

    http://www.pjsoft.ca/node/view/296

    I saw the original link on Slashdot, so if you're familiar with that
    site, you'll realize that some 'handiwork' might be required - but it
    apparently works!

    Good luck to you if you try it - you'll need it. Don't blame me if you
    break anything. :)

    James Addison, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Rick S.

    Gadgets Guest

    Thanks for the link! Sounds Ok for some situations, but I think the D70
    manual mentions that microdrive speeds don't allow full frame rate or
    something similar? Wouldn't be a problem most of the time, but for
    sports...

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Sep 12, 2004
  8. Rick S.

    Rick S. Guest

    Not a bad idea... in fact, I wonder if there is a gadget on the market
    that will enable transfer or copy just to another CF card? 2 CF card
    failures would not be likely...

    Rick S., Sep 12, 2004
  9. Rick S.

    Rick S. Guest

    Savidge, thank you for the info. Major vendor, super low price, name
    brand product, so I went and got 2. travel problem solved.
    I just wonder, though: Newegg sells the exact same thing for $227!
    Is it possible these at Buy.com are 'seconds'? Newegg is a pretty
    respected on line vendor; Buy.com is well known, but not as respected
    or reviewed. Maybe that's how Newegg survives with the higher prices;
    faster shipping, better online support or something.
    I usually will go a slightly higher price for those reasons, but in
    this case, 90 bucks savings times 2, for a standard off the shelf
    commercial item, all that stuff drops away.
    Same SANDISK part number, but there's still a part of me that wonders
    if they are reconditioned, or 'seconds' or something.

    Rick S., Sep 12, 2004
  10. Some of the portable CD burners (Apacer, Roadstor) have a verify after writer
    where it takes twices as long, but verifies the write was error free. On the
    high end models you can also view the pictures on a TV screen (and it is also a
    portable DVD viewer as well).
    The Delkin USB bridge can copy from a camera or card reader to a disk or a CD
    burner, so I imagine it would copy to a card reader, but it would create the
    second CF card with the first card's files as a subdirectory (ie, instead of
    dcim/100olymp, it would create disk0001/dcim/100olymp).

    Michael Meissner, Sep 13, 2004
  11. Rick S.

    Paul J Gans Guest

    No. She's travelling light.

    She's got a Nikon 3100 so I figure a couple of 256 Mb cards
    should take care of it. She'll probably run out of batteries
    first... ;-)
    I'll ask her to check and see...

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 13, 2004
  12. Rick S.

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Nope. She's travelling light.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 13, 2004
  13. Rick S.

    Ken Tough Guest

    Oh well, if she's onboard a ship, I'm 100% sure some other
    passenger or crew will have a laptop with a CD writer. Make
    sure she takes her download cable!
    'sun' -- 'Sun' -- solaris -- Linux? Never mind...

    Ken Tough, Sep 13, 2004
  14. Rick S.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Since most of the people in the Antartic are of a scientific type, I
    can't imagine that she would have a problem getting someone to burn a CD
    or two for her.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 13, 2004