    I have found that firefox (latest) does not open up some websites that IE
    works with?

    Anybody know anything about this?

    James, Jan 6, 2005

  2. James

    why? Guest

    You mean v1.0 rather than one of the latest nightly builds?
    You wouldn't happen to have forgotten to give any URLs so some
    suggestions could be made?

    It could be any features you haven't enabled - Javascript, Java, Broken
    HTML, DHTML, Bad design using IE only specific features? Something
    blocked by your firewall software / FF like popups and so on.

    Try the FF kb/support/bug tracking forum / maling list and newsgroups
    anf FAQs.

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Mozilla_Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
    http://www.mozilla.org/community/developer-forums.html
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

    Me

    why?, Jan 6, 2005

  3. James

    Richard Guest

    That's probably due to the fact that firefox gets things right where IE
    fails.
    IE doesn't understand what to do with "Png" image layering, but firefox
    does.
    Take one of your sites that won't open in firefox and put it through
    www.validator.w3.org
    You'll probably get a ton of errors.
    Also, if the site is using visual basic script, it won't work in firefox.
    There are many things that will only work in IE.

    Richard, Jan 6, 2005
  4. James

    James Guest

    That seems to me that it should be said "firefox fails" when IE works.If a
    person builds a bad website I do not want to be "stopped from viewing it".

    Hmm, so then that explains it, so basically it is designed only to work on
    properly made sites, it won't work on sites that are made for IE based
    browswers. Admitadly that is the problem of the website but still if you
    could build in some mechanism that would account for this it would be
    better.

    James, Jan 6, 2005
  5. James

    LB Guest

    http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://sillydog.org/
    http://mozilla.org

    For more help.

    LB

    LB, Jan 6, 2005
  6. James

    gb Guest

    Yes.

    gb, Jan 6, 2005
  7. The mechanism is coding for standards compliance rather than for IE.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  8. James

    Barry Guest

    Hello james, I'm glad you asked that question, I was thinking about going to
    firefox, but after reading the answers you got from your question, I don't
    think so,,,,

    Barry, Jan 7, 2005
  9. James

    James Guest

    I understand that but still it means that it kind of forces you to use IE.
    Unless you want to avoid seeing all websites because they might not have
    made them properly.

    James, Jan 7, 2005
  10. James

    James Guest

    I honestly can see where people are comming from when they say that its the
    fault of the website designers, I understand that, and also it is a problem
    that is associated with IE being the dominant player.

    I didn't find this happened with Opera. Apart from that it is an absolute
    beauty to use, lovely and clear and quite fast. But for me I have to stick
    with an IE based browser or Opera as my main browser, although I'll keep it
    on my computer to see if it was a "one off".

    James, Jan 7, 2005
  11. James

    LB Guest

    Many folks use FireFox as their main browser but keep IE available in
    case a site must use IE. Also use IE to get MS updates. It is NOT a
    pure either / or situation and when places like Penn State tell users to
    avoid IE then FireFox is to be considered.

    LB

    LB, Jan 7, 2005
  12. James

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: I found firefox doesn't open some websites??
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    Or, Off By One:
    http://www.offbyone.com/

    The Off By One Web Browser may be the world's smallest and fastest web browser
    with full HTML 3.2 support. It is a completely self-contained, stand-alone 1.1MB
    application with no dependencies on any other browser or browser component. For
    Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

    G. Morgan, Jan 7, 2005
  13. James

    Plato Guest

    Some people only make their sites readable for IE users. Silly.

    Plato, Jan 7, 2005
  14. James

    why? Guest

    That's the whole point, lots of crap web design tools, some OS'es even
    came with 'express versions' of site design tools (with incomplete HTML
    support , in some cases HTML2/3.2 some fairy story made up commands and
    no or poor 4.x even after several versions) and many lazy and ignorant
    authors and specification requirements. On top of that mismatch in
    design tools the browser support is poor in many cases.

    I have a site in XHTML1.1 + CSS 1 and 2, every page validates however I
    (URL won't be provided) have to leave the default for the server sending
    the pages out as HTML. If I do the correct thing and setup XHTML MIME
    type then MS IE tries to save it and it never tries to render it.

    Me

    why?, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Kind of no. I don't have IE installed.
    When I hit a problem site, I go elsewhere. I don't have to do that very
    often.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Well, then you didn't read many of them or read them very well.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Hey, that's where I am, too. You go.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  18. How is it with CSS? XHTML?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2005
  19. James

    Wanderer Guest

    The world works well together or not. If the trusty rifle doesn't work
    on occasion, every great hunter carries the back-up pistol. Every
    soldier in the field a knife/bayonet, etc etc et al.

    I keep 5 browsers under the hood, each best suited for the terrain I
    plan to cover.

    Each of those companies Desire to know what makes them better than the
    other and I like to keep them guessing.

    Just me.

    Wanderer, Jan 7, 2005
  20. James